Can a goat bred 5 wks ago abort and still be pregnant?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by byardbabe, Jan 13, 2011.

1. byardbabe

byardbabe Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jane Lew, WV
    Hi,
    I have a doe who was bred a month ago. She is behaving normally, eatting normalling, ect. Yesterday I noticed her tail was wet, like after they give birth,
    anyway to make a long story short I found what looked like an afterbirth. I am in the process of drying her up,and don"t know if I should continue. My queston is can a doe abort one fetus but still be pregnant with another?
    Thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    im sorry your doe aborted but if she was only a month along you wouldnt have seen anything but maybe a spotting of blood - no afterbirth. So either your doe was further along or what you saw was not afterbirth.

And I have never heard of a retained live kid that went to full term after one was aborted. Sorry

3. byardbabe

byardbabe Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jane Lew, WV
    Thanks Stacy,
    I am sure about the dates for breeing. I keep the buck seperate but close to
    the does. I do have an appt with our vet on Mon. so I'll check with him. She does seem very interested in the buck and he with her. So I don"t know if I should put them back together?
    Thanks again

4. byardbabe

byardbabe Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jane Lew, WV
    Oopps sorry I spelled your name wrong Stacey.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the wetness you are seeing is probably her being in heat and the breeding didnt take last time

6. byardbabe

byardbabe Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jane Lew, WV
    Hi,
    There definately was a mucus discharge and a little blood not as much as an afterbirth, but some. The only reason I looked was because when I was brushing her I noticed her tail was wet. So maybe I'll let her in with the buck?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you can wait for her second heat or you can breed her now - either way I think she is in heat now and not actually aborting. They dont come into heat right as they abort thats usually a couple days later so this sounds like just a heat to me

8. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Just recently had this happen- her tail was bloody. No discharge. She was 1 month along. I waited two months and rebred her. (It was my Clem)

9. byardbabe

byardbabe Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jane Lew, WV
    Thanks everyone,
    I put her back in with the buck and her tail was awaggin, and he was happy to be of service.