The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stew has a cough which hes had since 8 got him around 2 months old. Hes now 6 months. Now i have had to worm him just finished 10 days of treament about 1 week ago. when he coughs he then chrws his cud. Could this be just him coughing up his cud or could he still have lung worms? Should i treat him with another round of v?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I treated him with neomectrim (or however you spell it)

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
I can't remember, do you have a vet? You don't want to keep treating him if you don't know what it is. All you will do is build up an immunity to all those drugs,

If you don't have a vet, I would suggest going to Tri-County Vet Clinic in West Salem. They are good with goats and very reasonably priced.

At this point the goat should be physically checked over by a vet and a fecal done.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I had a doe who just coughed and no treatment worked. Finally she just suddenly stopped.

Have you had him since birth? do you know if he had any birth issues? my friend has a wether from me and he has breathing issues but we know why since he had a difficult first couple days and him and his brother almost died (had to be induced since mom was ketotic) and they got pneumonia right after birth.

·
14,615 Posts
Stew has a cough which hes had since 8 got him around 2 months old. Hes now 6 months. Now i have had to worm him just finished 10 days of treament about 1 week ago. when he coughs he then chrws his cud. Could this be just him coughing up his cud or could he still have lung worms? Should i treat him with another round of v?
How are his eyelids & what dosage did you use?
I once had a young doe cough more than others. She got three treatments 10 days apart (1cc per 40lbs Ivermectin) & still coughed.
Fecal clean, eyelids deep pink but cough eventually went away on its own.
Some goats will cough when they bring up cud, others make a squeak.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
it could be
**allergies (benadryl helps)
**Pulling up a cud, for some it takes practice
**Lung worms ( you can gather some berries from him..wrap in a piece of gauze twist closed and float over night in water to see if any larve or worm floats to the top) Goat hiker suggest this method of a fecal exam for Lung worm only)

I agree a good check up from a qualified vet is a good idea...other wise as long as he is eating, drinking, pooping berries, peeing, bright pink to red eye lids, bright eye, alert and normal temp ...I would keep a watch on things..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts