Can anyone explain the * and + on my does pedigree?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mistyblue, Oct 13, 2010.

1. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Ok I was looking at my AGS registered ND doe's papers and started looking at her pedigree. I have noticed that her GD and GS have these different symbols on them.

Can you explain to me what they mean.

Here is a example:

Grand sire: MCH Twin Creeks BH Bay Watch ++ *S E
    Grand dam: Lost Valley Aaryanna 3*D

Epona this is on Hallie's

Grand sire: ARMCH Goodwood Tom Thumb + *S E
    Grand dame: ARMCH Goodwood Water Lilly 2*D VG AR1599

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    I thought the stars on the dam were for being a great milker(ther's more to that but in a nut shell) the stars on the buck IDK

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
  4. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    I have wondered about that, too. Thanks, Kylee for the info!

I do have one question myself. On ADGA papers under the names of sire, grandsire, etc. what does it mean if it says LA2006,2005,2003 for example? Or AR2004?

Sorry, I hope it's ok for me to ask.

5. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    That's interesting, nice to know about Hallie! Looks like she was well bred.

Just goes to show, you never know where these goats end up. It's a scary thought for a breeder.

Now if Hallie would just settle and give us some kids..

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    AR2004 means that the doe was admitted into the Advanced Registry, e.g. earned her milk star(*M) on a 305 day test or a 1 day test in 2004, therefore being admitted into the Advanced Registry. LA2006 etc means that the animal was appraised in those years using ADGA's Linear Appraisal program. For the definition of what appraisal is, refer to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10229&start=0&hilit=appraisal

HTH :)

7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Those threads and sites have helped me understand alot better than anything others were trying to tell me. Someone sent me to the ADGA site and that really confused me. It is nice to learn something new about your goats that you did not know as well as realizing that you got a nice doe for a very good price.

Epona, of the two does, Hallie has the better pedigree. I really hope that she will settle and give us some great kids. Also, I will send you a pm with her full pedigree if you want.

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Sure, I'd love that. At the least she can have that on the website, like some of my does do. The ones with any recognizable pedigree anyways lol!