The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year old Nigerian Dwarf doe. She is extremely healthy, pink eyelids, sleek coat, good appetite. She will not get bred.:help: The last time she kidded was 2009. She had a great pregnancy/delivery. I've used proven bucks with her for the last 2 seasons with no success. She cycles every 3 weeks and acts very bucky. I think she must be cystic. I know there is lots of info about treatment, but could anyone just spell it out for me and tell what to give when? Dosage amounts for a smaller size goat would be much appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
If she has gone that long without treatment, she may be permanently sterile :(

Cycling normally but acting bucky are sign of cystic ovaries and can be treated by giving two 2cc injections of Cystorelin 24 hours apart when she is in standing heat, keeping her with a buck until her heat signs are no longer seen may also ensure a pregnancy.
I am currently treating a doe here who is 4 years old, delivered twins in 2011 and quads in 2012, did not settle for me last fall and started breeding season this year with normal heats...every 21 days for 2 cycles, she was bred on both but by the third time she was cycling every 7-14 days since September, she's been treated with 2 rounds of dosing with Fertagyl (same as Cystorelin) and a week ago was dosed with a 5 day course and has been with a buck now for the last 3 1/2 weeks, I'm hoping to see a pregnancy happen soon :( I got the med from my vet as it is a prescription.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Liz! I am afraid I've waited too long, but I'd love to try something to maybe get one more kidding from her. If she is not truly cystic will crystorelin hurt her at all?? Is it something I could try for 2 or 3 cycles, or just one cycle?

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Thanks Liz! I am afraid I've waited too long, but I'd love to try something to maybe get one more kidding from her. If she is not truly cystic will crystorelin hurt her at all?? Is it something I could try for 2 or 3 cycles, or just one cycle?
With my doe, I started her on the Fertagyl in early October, and again with 2 doses 10 days later.
I ended up buying a bottle from my vet as I dosed her again 10 days after :(

I put her on a 5 day course of 2cc per day starting on November 14 and have left her with a buck the last month hoping that she settles.

I've done enough research to understand that the HcGrh which is a growth hormone, does not have any lasting effects nor does it stay in the system long. No milk withdrawal and meat withdrawal time is minimal.

I hope that your doe does not give you the issues that mine has! It sounds promising that yours is having regular heats whereas mine is in heat every 8-14 days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.