The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to goats and have 4 - 8 week old, soon to be wethers. Yesterday, the lid to the chicken feed was left off and they were out there with it all day. I don't know if they got into it. I noticed just before their bottle time, and the vet suggested I not give them their evening feeding and not allow them to eat their hay through the night. They were all acting fine and trying to continue to forage.

Sleepless night, and this morning they all still seem fine, no sign of bloat or scours. It's been at the minimum 12-13 hours since I discovered the situation, but if they found it, it may have been as long ago as 17 hours ago since they were in their yard without me.

How long until I know for sure they either didn't get into it, or weren't negatively affected by it? The feed is organic and not medicated.

I just want to know when I can stop being sick with worry. The feed is now being kept outside of the yard. I was feeding the chickens before I let the goats out in the morning, and after the goats are in their shed in the evening. But now the feed can't be left in the pen at all, with or without its lid.

Thank you for any information. I'm so stressed.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Signs would be bloat, scours (often starts with clumps them moves to scours) belly pain..off feed.
Seems like if you would see issue would have been by now..but caution is wise. I would do hay through today and see how they are tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like things are ok. Ususally within the first 24-36 hours they would show signs.
Thank you so much for letting me know this. If they spotted the open chicken feed bin and partook, it would have been sometime between noon and 7 pm Saturday, so it's now been between 39 and 46 hours. After their evening bottle last night their tummies looked so large I about had another heart attack. I checked on them throughout the night and they were fine and continue to be.

I think I got extremely lucky and they did not discover the bin. They've never seen me feed the chickens from it, or really even seen chicken feed, so they must have ignored it (the goat gods must have been looking over them :).

In all my searching on the internet no where could I find how long till onset of bloat due to feed overload, so thank you very much for responding. I am going to move the chickens to their own area. As I was surfing the internet way too many tales of goats finding ways into feed, and human error like my situation, leading to tragedy :cry:.

Going to have a coffee and calm my nerves.

Have a great day and thanks for the responses! :love:

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
I agree..of they ate it or too much..you would know by now. Thank goodness they didn't and are doing well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts