Can bucks be kept together?

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by David13-5, May 23, 2020.

1. David13-5

David13-5 Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Northern Ireland
    Im getting a 2 month old buck in the next month and was going to get another buck about 1 year old to keep him company. Would they be ok together when they get older? They are both Anglo Nubian.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Angel A

Angel A Active Member

Apr 4, 2020
    North Idaho
    I have 4 bucks in together. They have decided who is top dog. They are boers and have done ok for 2 yrs. They have a nice large pasture to roam so they are not cramped for space. I would think they would be fine. My lock horns sometime and act all tough and macho, but at the end of the day they are family.

David13-5 and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would be cautious putting a young buck in with an older one. Be very watchful especially during feeding time. Some bucks do very well while others can be bullies.

4. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    We have four bucks together and they’re fine. No one really challenges the top dog. However, I wouldn’t be comfortable putting a little buckling in with a big buck. We didn’t add our buckling from last year to the big boy herd until he was 9 months old or so. Our buckling from this year will have a separate area (with our babysitter wether) until he is big enough to safely be added to the bucks.

5. goodenuff

goodenuff Active Member

Jan 1, 2019
    Idaho
    I put my three month old buckling with my 2 year old buck and they are the best of friends, no fighting or anything. We did watch closely for a few days but there were no issues or anything since my little guy didn’t want to fight, making big boy not fight.

6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey I have 3 bucks, 3 different breed . All living together. To me, they help keep each other in good shape. The Boer & Myotonic are 3 &2, the Spanish buckling was 6 months when he joined the big boys. I watched them closely for abour 2 weeks. Now they are my 3 stooges. What one doesnt do the other will.

David13-5 and Angel A like this.
  7. David13-5

David13-5 Member

Jan 8, 2020
    Northern Ireland
    Thank you, all your answering were very helpful. Going to try and get him around the same age of the kid that I have coming.

Moers kiko boars and Angel A like this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Always watch for a little while to see how it goes, if the mature buck is charging and hitting the youngster, you will have to remove him right away.
    If things are calm, usually at feeding time, is when the older buck may get a bit aggressive.

I put a creep feeder area in there so the younger one can get away and also be able to eat in there as well.

David13-5 and Moers kiko boars like this.