Can Bucks be Kept with Pregnant Does?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by MellonFriend, Aug 19, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Okay, I think I know the answer to this, but I just wondered if anyone had any personal experience. By the way, before anyone who knows my situation get excited, no, none of my does have been bred yet. So once my two does are bred, could my two bucks move in to live with my two does until it's time to kid? I know it's not a good idea to have them around when they get close to kidding time, but what about early on?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    I put my buck with the does early on. For about 3 to 4 months. It depends how big (as in how big pregnant they are) the does are. Also how gentle are the bucks? They have to be very careful with the does especially during feeding time when all the goats are scrambling for food. This is just my experience. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Good luck!

MadHouse, Goataddict and MellonFriend like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I would not put two bucks together with does.
    That will trigger major fights over the does. Please do not do that.

4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I agree with toth. Dont take the risk.

5. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    If it was just 1 gentle buck I would say watch them and see but with 2 bucks I say no as well. I own Nubians but I have also owned LaManchas and I find Keeping 2 Nubian bucks together with does as long as one is under 2 years they are fine but LaMancha bucks are just rude! They fight all the time no matter their age or sex.

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  6. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I had two very gentle Nubian bucks that lived with my does year-round. I separated them at night during rut because I like to track breedings precisely, but the rest of the time the boys stayed with the girls up to the last month of pregnancy, at which point I separated at night again (my goats run together during the day all year). Once babies were born everyone lived together again. The boys were very sweet to the girls (much nicer than my pack wethers) and especially sweet to the kids. They would lay down and let the babies chew their beards and jump on their bellies. I would not have done this if the boys were aggressive at all though.

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  7. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I think my boys are probably too rough to have it work. If it was Phantom alone I think it might be fine since he's smaller than the girls and they both like to get their way, but Cullen tends to be kind of pushy. He is also a bit bigger than both my does and I don't think I would trust him not to hurt them if he got to fighting with Phantom and one of them got in the way. So I guess they'll just have to stay separate. It would have been nice to have only one pasture being used at a time, that was my main agenda, but it sounds like it's not worth the risk. Oh well, that's what I figured.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California