The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We have a ff saanen who is giving us 11/2 to 2 quarts on once a day after being separated from her doeling all night. I was wondering if we can just stop milking and let the doeling be with her mom 24/7 after school starts the last week of August. My 14yo milkmaid worries about having time to get her schoolwork done if she needs to milk. The doeling should be 11 weeks then. If we stop milking, can we just feed her once a day too, she gets grain, alfalfa pellets and hay twice a day.

Thank you !
Stephanie

·
Super Moderator
58,860 Posts
Did you not want to milk her for milk for your family?

I would start now with leaving baby with mom 24/7. With only the baby's needs, her milk production will hopefully slow down for you as the baby doesn't drink as much. But you will have to do something with her if you wean the baby. Saanens are known for being heavy milkers so it may be difficult to dry her up at such an early stage in her lactation.

I would also definitely slow down on the grain and possibly get to no grain if you try to dry her up.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
I agree with karen...My saanen give a gallon of milk twice a day! I cant hardly dry them up in time for breeding...decreasing her feed intake will help...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, that is helpful. I am not wanting to dry her up, I just won't be able to milk her myself as I was originally planning because I'll be having major surgery 2 weeks before school starts. I am hoping to be able to start separating them and milking again in October.
Thank you!
Stephanie

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well. what i would do is milk her in the morning and seperate the baby at night or the reverse. your milkmaid daughter can certainly milk her once a day probably after school until you are able to do it again. we are talking 15 minutes tops to milk her if your daughter doesnt know how to milk a goat in that amount of time she needs to learn quick, who will do the other chores? if you leave that baby with her 24/7 you will not get that production back, so that is up to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts