The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this one goat on my farm thats the only one with blue eyes and her personality is completly diffrent to I want to know if this is common?

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is the most outgoing little goat ever she thinks shes a big goat. She love mirrors and climing into the chickens coop

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I am looking for a blue eyed ND doe to add to my herd but so far haven't found one close enough to me to get. When I helped care for someone elses goats they had a blue eyed buck I favored and he was a rascal.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Call me crazy but this is my theory.

Most people love blue eye over brown eyes. That being, they have a blue eyed & a brown eyed doelings.
Since they think the blue eyed is much cuter, they spend more time with it. This causing such a better temperament:)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I once heard a big Boer breeder who has literally bred thousands of goats say she thought "the blonde headed ones are usually very sweet", or something like that. I like a big dark kind eye on a horse and a goat and feel they are more intelligent. This is not a "yes" to your question, but making observations about your goats and forming anecdotal opinions is what good animal people do. Don't let anybody talk you out of it.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I have a theory theory about the horns sets though, seems to ring true in my experience. The more I think about it, you may be on to something?

Anyway, my theory was, goats with very close horn sets seem to be almost down syndrome. Like people with down syndrome, their ears are flat to their head. So I think close horn sets are like the ears on down syndrome people.

I have had 2 that had close horn sets, and they always seemed "not all there", "slow", and just down syndrome to put it bluntly. They were not smart at all, their eyes kinda always drooped, always whiny. Sometimes they would just stand there, with their mouth hanging open and making an almost laughing sound, you could clap you hands, make noise, almost poke them in the eyeball, and they didn't seem to be aware you were there, but all of a sudden they'd "come back" and act like they normally did.
I've seen several others with close horn sets and they seemed the same.

Weirdest thing ever, definitely cull those ones. Only seen it in boers so far.
So as soon as they are born I check how far apart the buds are.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I think its how she is raised. And a little how there dam is if dam raised. I have a blue eyed doe right know that is totally wild. And ive had kids born here to a wild mom and i could never tame the kids down completly and kids born her to a mom that is tame and those kids act like bottle babies lol

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yay!! Tiffofmo confirmed my theory?:) or at least supported it?:D

I agree totally.
I've seen some blue eyed goats be completely whack!
But every single one of mine that have blue eyes are seriously friendly!:)

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont know I'll look into it a little more

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bought her from Goldenbrook Farm when she was a couple weeks old she's my first goat, though my sis owns the rest of them.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Then it's just the bond you have with her:)

But I truly (I know it sound stupid!) think that blue eyed goats are smarter.

I have one at my house now.
I bought her from Emily. My name is Emilie.
The goat has heard our name and put 2 & 2 together. The goat has also heard my moms name (Linda)
She hates my mom but loves me and her previous owner.
My mom hasn't done anything to her. She just hates her.

Again, I'm probably stupid for thinking this but I feel like they're smarter:)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I'm not discrediting the other oppinions, but I side with the attention theory. My flashy kids are usually the most outgoing one when it comes to strangers, because the visitors give them extra attention. I've also found both momma and dad's personalities effect the kids QUITE a bit.

·
967 Posts
Yes, parents personalities have a lot to do with it. My wild does had very wild kids, even though the kids were bottle fed. They were just flighty and untrusting, even though they were never around their mothers. I have some does that are just plain mean, kids are the same way. Then my "S" line is VERY sweet and friendly, but they are dumb as rocks when it comes to learning new routines, getting stuck in the same hole in the same fence everyday for a month...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts