The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to Fredericksburg,va into a townhouse. :(
I really don't wanna get rid of my goats. goats are my life. I was wondering if i can keep my mini lamancha does in the backyard. they weigh less than 100 lbs. I have 2 of them.
maybe you can give me a link to a website about rules about keeping goats in a townhouse.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
You will need to find out the zoning laws there. Call the county office and ask. It all depends on, what zone and rules, if you can even have livestock type animals at that location. Or ask a realtor of the zoning, they do have that information as well. But may or may not be in detail.
Be totally certain, before you move with the goats.

·
Banned
43 Posts
There are no universal rules, it all depends on the rules of your homeowners association, and your local zoning ordinances. That said, if your lot is large enough, there's no reason why you can't, although I seriously doubt that the rules of both authorities will be in your favor.

Prior to WWII it was very common for all sorts of small livestock to be kept on small city and suburban lots. I wish that it were still the case, but because of a few irresponsible animal owners who won't make cleanliness a high priority, those who keep roosters in close proximity to neighbors, and those who allow their emotions to blur the line between livestock and pets, deciding to keep the latter in their homes of all places, the rules are much more stringent. I wish you luck, but I also have to say that the time to ask the question was before you made the committment to move, not after, if it means so much to you to keep these goats. You may have just set yourself up for a big disappointment.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
No, no, and no. Fredericksburg, VA allows no livestock of any kind, not even chickens.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would not think you would be allowed farm animals any were near a townhouse,sorry,probably would upset your neighbors,only if they don't like goats,and smells and all the stuff us goat people don't mind.goodluck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Some jurisdictions will allow one animal per-so-many 100 square feet. Then additional animals at plus another so-many 100 square feet.. Do check your local ordinances to be sure... I had one place that was so lenient with square feet that I figured I could keep 22 horses on one acre... Far too many and I would never do that.. Too many, too crowded. Besides, I only had one horse at the time.... Something else, many places will operate on the "complaint" system.. If no one complains about your situation, then they are not moved to do anything about it....... Sam

·
1,524 Posts
I live in a town with no zoning laws, so I have horses, goats, chickens and a kennel on my 1 acre lot. I am surrounded by neighbors but there is little they can do. I checked the town zoning before I bought my place many years ago, and even noew, if they were to change and add zoning, I would be "grandfathered", well actually "grandmothered", and could keep them all.

Yup, your first step will have ot be to check with the town/city. As was mentioned, probably you will not be able to keep them. Sorry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts