The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet another newbie question. Can young goats be klutzes? Today I had one of my 12 week old goats get on the outdoor dog bed (it’s a big bed), choose the very edge to lie down, miss it with her bottom, fall off onto her back, then roll under it to get up, lifting and dragging it with her a few steps. It was quite a fiasco for two seconds. I was sitting in a chair not far from the bed and she came trotting up to me for some sympathy. While I was still petting her and talking over her misadventure with her, another goat lies at the edge of the bed, gets comfy, goes to scratch her back and rolls right off. It’s only a few inches off the ground, thank goodness.

For the most part, they navigate all their little obstacles fine, jumping and climbing, but sometimes they miss a jump or do stuff like this and I wonder if this is something to be concerned about? Or just part of growing up, even for goats? I was under the impression they were sure-footed and agile.

I’m a mean mom and laughed at them both but gave comfort and cuddles when they came to me after their harrowing ordeals. But now I’m just not sure if this is normal. Sorry to bug you all again, but Google didn’t have an answer for me.

Here’s proof the bed is big enough. And keep in mind, each time it was so only one little goat on the bed (at the very edge for reasons they have yet to disclose).

Should I be worried they are still a little klutzy at 12 weeks? Or have your young ones done things like this, too?
Wheel Tire Grass Fawn Felidae

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,305 Posts
Lol..too funny. Life with goats never bore us. Mine run up tree limbs..balance on a skinny tree limb for a nap..yet fall off the huge tractor tire lol. Fun.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,103 Posts
That picture made me laugh. :LOL: There's a full heap of critters on that dog bed, sure enough. They are sort of like human children, the coordination and agility develops as they age. That being said, young or old, there are times when goats and humans are plain klutzes. Benji is one nice looking, loving and gentle giant. He is a gem and a rare find.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't worry about it. They probably just haven't found the limits of their new toys yet. Mine do crazy stuff like that sometimes, even my adults.
I just love seeing Benji lounging with them. It's great that they aren't afraid of him.🥰
Ok good. Glad to know they are not having some weird issue. And he does love to lounge with them. He’d stay there all day if I’d let him.
Lol..too funny. Life with goats never bore us. Mine run up tree limbs..balance on a skinny tree limb for a nap..yet fall off the huge tractor tire lol. Fun.
lol. Well that makes me feel better and is hilarious.

That picture made me laugh. :LOL: There's a full heap of critters on that dog bed, sure enough. They are sort of like human children, the coordination and agility develops as they age. That being said, young or old, there are times when goats and humans are plain klutzes. Benji is one nice looking, loving and gentle giant. He is a gem and a rare find.
Makes sense, as I myself have been quite klutzy. And thanks, he is such a love and so gentle. Even with our chickens. And he swears he’s part LGD, even though I have the DNA to prove he’s not.

Thank you all. This makes me feel better. At first, I thought it was funny. Then I got worried that maybe I was missing something and laughing when I should be figuring out what’s wrong. Now I know I can relax and enjoy again.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Poor Jeffrey. I hope my goats outgrow it. But I sort of have my doubts. They are very entertaining though.

They do love the community bed. And I am lucky with that big guy. Believe it or not, he is super energetic and I was nervous he’d hurt the goats on accident. Luckily, he’s pretty careful with little ones. He also gets chased by my moody 8lb house cat, lol. So not a dominate dog by any means.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh dear. I never thought of that. I feel like I have toddlers again. I always said a toddler is always searching for new and interesting ways to hurt themselves and it was our mission to stop them. Feels the same with these silly goats. And come to think of it, I’m about as worried and paranoid with these kids as I was with my human ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts