The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband finally said 'yes' to goats, so I am planning on getting 3 nubian wethers as pets. The area that I am thinking about fencing in has an eastern red cedar or juniper (I 'think' they are basically the same thing?) tree, but I'm unsure if this is poisonous for goats. I have seen many conflicting statements about this while researching online. Some sites say goats are being used to keep under control and others say it is poisonous for goats.

Same for honeysuckle....I have seen sites that claim goats LOVE honeysuckle and others that claim it is poisonous for goats. It's very confusing and I just want to make sure I have a safe location to house the goats before building the fence.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Juniper is very poisonous to goats. Especially the berries and needle like leaves.
I heard that too, but couldn't take them out of the pasture. I was also told oak leaves were poisonous but they never had any ill effects from eating leaves that blew in from neighboring fields so I wasn't sure what to believe. We have cedar/juniper all over. The goats never touched those trees apart from an occasional taste of the branches. They never ever ate the berries though. They did eat the bark, but a lot of fence posts here are made from cedar and they would strip those as well.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Honeysuckle is safe

Reactions: alwaystj9

·
Registered
645 Posts
Based on my research it seems like some goats can tolerate juniper more than others, but that it probably is not good to have in the pasture as you don't know how your goats will react to it. Basically the oil in the plant is the issue. Here is what one website said...https://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/rx-grazing/WoodyPlants/Juniper.htm

·
Registered
11,162 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm new to goats also and I have red cedar, honeysuckle and oak throughout my property. I try to keep them away from the cedar but it is impossible to keep them from the oak trees. Also, is hickory and black walnut okay for them to eat?

·
Registered
616 Posts
My goats love honeysuckle, oak and cedar. I know with the oak, if that's all they have and they gorge, that bothers them. As long as they have other feed & browse, they rarely eat any one thing to excess. They eat more cedar in the middle of winter than any other time. They are chomping acorns as fast as they fall, right now.
I don't have any scientific studies but I have had my herd where they are for 30 years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our goats eat pasture cedars in the winter. They love it because it is fresh living as opposed to the hay. I remember reading somewhere that the cedar helps fight worms naturally. We also have an invasive species called Autumn Olive that our goats can't get enough of. Leaves and bark- they do the work and I run the chainsaw.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm glad that that the oak trees and acorns won't make them sick! I had a border collie mix that loved to eat oak leaves and acorns and she ate so many that it caused her to go into liver and kidney failure and we had to put her down. Our vet at the time said that he had only seen that happen in cattle.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My goats eat honeysuckle without any issues. They love it!
Not sure about juniper.
From what I’ve heard, oak leaves are poisonous, but only in the Fall. My goats have never had issues eating the leaves on the ground, but they don’t really like them either.
Congratulations on getting goats!
They are so much fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.