Can goats get arthiritis?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rosti, Aug 17, 2011.

1. rosti

rosti Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Centerville,WA
    I have a pygmy goat who I think has arthiritis. When she tries to get up on the
    milk stand it is like her front legs are tied to her back legs. She can only rise in the
    air about 8 inches and then she jerks and falls back like her legs are tied together. It was especialy bad this morning when it was only 41* She could only get about 3 inches off the ground. She is 4 years old. If this is arthiritis what came I do for her?

2. Has she been tested for CAE?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree. If she hasn't been tested, I would have her tested for CAE.

4. rosti

rosti Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Centerville,WA
    Yes she is CAE free or negitive whatever you call it.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry about all the questions...but if she is negative CAE... we need to pen point it a bit more...

Was she recently tested for CAE and where was it tested?
    Did you test at 2 different labs?

Are her knees swollen?

Does she walk normally?

How is her udder and milk look and feel?

Are her hooves healthy and been trimmed?

Do you know if she got slammed by another goat(injury)?

6. Who did the testing? Hopefully CAE is not the cause but it does sound like it. ESpecially if it is both legs.

7. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    X-Rays could be helpful.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    At 4 years, yes...she can have a touch of arthritis, even if she is CAE negative, from what my experience with my pygmy doe had been, she was not only short but she was WIDE and low ...and more my fault than anything, but she was also a portly girl and when I lost her at age 6 1/2, she was showing sign that she did have discomfort when the weather turned damp and chilly. I have my milk stand made to adjust to short and low slung does, and I also provide a step for them. At 4 years old, she has reached her adult height and her bone has finished growing, all she can do now is grow chunkier and the more weight she puts on, the harder it is on the joints..... I do have arthritis in my feet and hands but my knees will also ache when I've put on a few pounds :wink:

You can try giving her aspirin and see if any of the discomfort/awkwardness is resolved.

Also...if you hear clicking as she walks, it's normal, my 11 year old Pygmy /ND doe has clicked when she walks since she was 3 years old And she tested negative for CAE thru 2 different labs for the last 2 years.

9. Robynlynn

Robynlynn New Member

Jan 18, 2011
    NW Iowa
    I agree with Randi too....Goats do a lot of nasty to each other....she may have something out of place or nerve damage?? there are lots of possiblities...any goat vets in your area??

10. rosti

rosti Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Centerville,WA
    Yes there are goat vets in my area. She is at the bottom of the pecking order
    so yes it is very possible another goat slammed her. No her knees aren't swollen.
    Yes she walks fine. I don't milk her but her udder is fine. I just trimmed her hooves.
    No she wasn't recently tested but we got all our goats CAE free and we haven't
    brought them anywhere so they couldn't get it. She doesn't seem to be in pain.
    Should I just watch her and if it gets worse call the vet?

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she seems to be fine, just having the issues on occassion, I'd think that monitering her would suffice and if she does get to the point that she can't rise due to pain or stiffness I would seek a vets advice.

12. rosti

rosti Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Centerville,WA
    Okay. Thank you! :)

13. Tolers Boers

Tolers Boers New Member

Jul 4, 2011
    Monticello KY
    Animals are susceptible to arthritis and other such inflictions. try some osteo bi-flex supplement or some form of Chondrotin . i am sure u can find online or even the stuff off the shelf at Walmarts. Pet Smarts or pet warehouses. they make it for dogs, large dogs like retrievers are famous for arthritis and hip displacements.

call a vet or ask at the farm store but i guarantee u can get it off shelves in pet dept at a Walmart and pay less for it.

i am giving my buckling vitamins with his treats he will take anything i offer him. i want him to gain some extra weight before i breed him. i bought off shelf for those myself.

14. RMADairyGoats

RMADairyGoats New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Colorado
    I would test her again. Sometimes you can get a false neg. I sure hope she does not have it. :pray: