The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I’ve been working with COVID patients almost daily since this poo hit the fan and I have been super carful since I’m high risk and so is my husband. Well to make a long story short I took my mask off to eat dinner with a coworker (we were over 10ft apart facing opposite directions) and now I have COVID. So I have been trying to keep up feeding my animals but I’m afraid they may get it. I was advised by the COVID team to stay away from any animals but I don’t have anyone else to care for them. This just stinks! It’s all I can do to carry the feed buckets out. Has anyone heard if goats can get it?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I got COVID and kept doing chores with no problems to the animals. I did not spend as much time petting their faces as I usually do but I did not completely social distance myself from them. I hope you get too feeling better soon.

·
Registered
30,159 Posts
My brother in law had covid and had to continue feeding his cows. No ill effect. As mentioned take extra precautions with a mask and gloves.

·
Registered
860 Posts
When I got it I continued to feed and love on the animals the same as always (maybe a little more because I needed reassurance lol). No problems, I believe that this is a human virus and animals can't get it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think because there is so much unknown, and let’s face it not many studies done on animals at the moment when they are focusing on humans right now. But if you have someone to feed I say do it if for no other reason then you NEED to rest and get better. But if not they still need to be fed and watered, if your nervous just do what you can to limit exposure to them....... which I have not heard about anyone passing it along to livestock

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I think livestock should be fine. If they were susceptible I'm sure we'd have heard of an outbreak somewhere by now because industrial farms have many blue collar workers among whom the virus has already spread the fastest. I know dogs and cats can get it but they aren't seriously affected. Rest and take care of yourself!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,342 Posts
Well seeing as a papaya tested positive for COVID-19, we really don’t know what can get it all. LOL. We can’t even be sure what it is testing for, this flawed PCR - of which the creator has actually specified of should NEVER be used to detect the presence of a virus.

I’m not trying to get political, just trying to calm nerves, your goats will be ok!! Stay well!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well I say if you can get someone to feed do so for the pure fact that you should be RESTING! And I would say that even if you had a cold ;) But If you are all they have they need to be fed and watered or they would surely die, so if your nervous then just do what you can to lessen exposure. I have not heard of any livestock getting covid from people though. I think the whole stay away from animals might be because your immune system is already fighting covid, so they might not really want you coming into contact with any bacteria. Or it might be that there is so much unknown about covid so they want you to play it safe.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Ok so good morning. I did some research last night and harrassed some people i know about this question. This is what I could get.
The origin from the virus were from "bush meat". Bats and wild creatures in Wuhan. Humans consuming this meat.
Domesticated animals have NEVER shown any liklihood of having the virus or getting the virus. Only 3 known cases exist where dogs got it from their owner and only 1 died because it was too old.
Humans MUST REST. But just like flu, you can still work with your animals. Just take precautions.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone! I have enlisted my daughter to take care of the outside animals and my son is caring for the inside animals. My husband has even started giving lulu her bottle. I think my goat babies know something is wrong ...they just want to cuddle when I manage to make it out for a visit.

Had a scare last nigh. Went out on the deck for fresh air and started coughing. It triggered an asthma attack which lasted 15 min. By the time it settled down i was coughing up blood. O2 sat. Has been okay all day today but can't move around much or i get winded. At least I'm still home and not in the hospital

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh no! Did you already have asthma? No inhaler? :(
I've had asthma since a teen. Unfortunately, my rescue inhaler was in the house when i had the attach last night. It always seems to happen when I don't have it in arms reach. Since then I keep it in my robe pocket...just in case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts