Can goats get Johne's disease from cow manure?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sundari, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I often get composted cow or horse manure to fertilize my garden. Is there any chance that my goats could get Johne's disease if I track cow manure into their pen?

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    yes - goats contract both the bovine (cow) and ovine (sheep) forms of johnes.

If the cow manure you use on the garden comes from a johnes infected herd, then the manure WILL contain the organisms which transmit the disease. These organisms establish themselves in the soil, and can survive there up to 7 yrs - they can be transported to other parts of your property by your feet, or otherwise rain/water run off. So the organisms can make it to your goat pen - once they are in the ground in the goat pen, your young stock (under 2 yrs) will be very susceptible to contracting the disease. The general rule is under 2 yrs old, they pick up the disease. At 2 yrs, they begin to show symptoms. After 2 yrs, they will shed the infective particles in their manure, regardless of whether they are showing clinical symptoms or not.

My advice? Make sure the manure you use on the garden comes from a negative tested herd. Just too much risk otherwise. Or, just stick with horse manure, as they cant get johnes.

3. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    That's really helpful, Keren - thank you!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    check out the Johnes info thread in the Goat sense 101 forum - it has where you can send a soil sample to check for johnes. This way you can check the manure before you start bringing it in from that farm :thumb:

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    That's great info.... I had no idea you could check the soil for Johnes!!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its the more accurate way to determine if a goat actually has Johnes then the blood test which just tests for antibodies (which can or can not mean the goat actually has the disease)

7. ENC

ENC New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    NE OK
    Just use the goat manure to fertilize your garden. Save gas and don't have to worry.

Evan