Can goat's have horse biotin?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by iddybit acres, Mar 4, 2011.

1. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    Can a goat with poor hoof's have horse biotin?? If so how much would be a recomended dose and how often?

2. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    OK, I don't know about the biotin, but I trim my own horses' hooves. Bad hooves (at least in horses) is the product of other problems, such as lack of care, or lack of proper diet. Some horses genetically have weaker hooves than others, but with proper diet and proper care are usually just fine. they may require a bit more attention than a horse that genetically has great hooves.

What is wrong with your goats hooves? The first thing I would say to look at are how often does she get hoof care? and what is she really eating? And is her area clean?

How I treat thrush or hoof rot in bad horse hooves is, trim off all dead tissue, soak in diluted bleach water (to kill bacteria), pack with athletes foot medicine. Keep area clean and dry if at all possible. I don't stall as movement is necessary for proper blood flow, and blood flow is necessary for healing and health. OK, that treats the symptoms. Then it needs to be determined WHY they have bad hooves. Is it lack of proper diet? Or is it the conditions in which it has been kept? Most often we can not control mud, but we can control how clean a stall or shelter is kept and how often hoof care is recieved.

OK, all that applies to horses, but I am sure that at least most of it applies to goats as well. My suggestion. Determine how often does the goat recieve hoof care, and can and should it recieve it more often? Look honestly at all sources of food and determine if she is getting what she needs. Is the goat stalled or out on pasture? If stalled determine how often the stall is cleaned, and if pastured how often is the pasture shelter cleaned? Any standing manure/urin is PRIM conditions for bacteria to grow. Ask yourself if you clean the area often enough.

You can treat the symptoms over and over and over. People with horses do it all the time. OR you can find the cause and change it if possible. Genetics do play a small part, so you may have to treat occassionally anyway, but finding and fixing the cause should be the main focus.