Can I abbreviate??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Victoria, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I wasn't sure where the heck to post this question,, it's late and I thought I could post it tonight and maybe do more searching tomarrow.
    So my daughter and I came up with the herd name of 'Victory Caprines'
    we both really like the name for many reasons, but we are realizing it is too long. We have several names for our babies that are just plain too long..so my question is, can we abbreviate our herd name when registering through ADGA/AGS?? It would be cool to just put VC..then we could have REALLY long names if we wanted, but if not then I really think we should think about changing our herd name..I think it would truly be a pain to do it, but currently we only have room for shorter names, and we like to put the buck's initials on the name as well...
    Thanks for any thoughts/ideas...

2. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    You can try to register whatever you want. Just contact the registries and ask. However, they will require whatever you register to be the herdname. So if you fill out the herdname form with Victory Caprines then you have to name all kids with it. If you fill out your form with VC then all kids will have that.

My farm name is actually Sweet Gum Minis but all kids take SGM as my herdname.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mine is abbreviated!

SLR Minis for AGS and SLR for ADGA - my herd is Sunset Lake Ranch.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, if you'd like to just have VC for your herdname, you need to register a new one. . . .

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I did email ADGA, they confirmed that I have to change it , I can't just abbreviate.
    Hmmm. I am a bit confused. So I register the new babies to V.C. after I change it w/ the registries, do I have to change all my other goats too?? I mean the ones that are Victory Caprines goats??

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    To abbreviate - it has to be your registered name - so you may have to register a new herd name ($15.00 - i think). You would not change the previous named and registered kids' names.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Ditto what Allison said. It would be just like starting new with a new herdname.

Interesting how with the Boer goat registries, they abbreviate the name, or at least, I am pretty sure they do. :scratch:
    Like my cousin's ranch name is Red Cedar Ranch, the Boer goat registry shortened it to RCR.

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Once you get the new name registered then all kids from that point on will take the new name. All exisiting goats who've already been registered will be the same. They won't change. If you wanted to you could change them but most people don't. That name will be good for them and not change.

9. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Ok then, that's a relief..
    I guess I will do it then, so I have more room for names...
    Thanks for your helps!