The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Are they steady growers or are they 'spurters'?(they have alot of growth spurts)
I like to only breed my steady growers, because I know that if I don't breed them, they will just get fat and I don't want that to happen. My doelings that grow in spurts, I hold over as dry yearlings, regardless if they are big enough to breed this year.
I had some big doe kids this year, the ones I bred were 80lbs at 5-6 months of age! I usually wait until at least 8 months old to breed them though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How big were there Moms ? I like to wait until my girls are close to 100lbs . If you do breed them now just make sure you have a good feeding plan so they continue to grow as they are growing babies. Lots of calcium.

Patty

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are not actually 80 pounds now. They weigh 65 pounds each and will be 5 months old in about a week. They are growing very steadily and I am guessing they will be at least 80 pounds in February. Their mother is about 125 and will be 2 in Jan. Their sire is I am guessing about 175.

·
Registered
751 Posts
i usually don't breed the first year. i like to wait till they are two but that is just me. i did breed a yearling last year but she was over 100 lbs & would be over ayear old when she did kid. i also have one this year that was born in late feb. she is as big as my yearling doe so i will wait till late dec to bred her. if your doe is only 5 mo old i think i would wait. she still has alot of growing to do & needs all of her calcium & protein for her self.

·
Registered
180 Posts
ditto, Stacey.
80 lbs, especially for Nubians, is a good weight. Sarah is also right- a steady grower is the best to breed rather than the spurter.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have decided to wait. I will breed them early in the fall around August-September. I think that is best for their and the kid's health, which is more important. They haven't been growing much lately, anyway.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Also think of when you want to be waiting for them to kid.
breed in Feb = July kids,
breed in Sept - Feb kids.

I am sure you know that, but I sometimes get in a rush thinking of when to breed, and need to remember when I want to be spending more time in the barn. lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts