Can I breed them?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nupine, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Can I breed two 80 pound Nubian does who are 7 months old and in good health?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Are they steady growers or are they 'spurters'?(they have alot of growth spurts)
    I like to only breed my steady growers, because I know that if I don't breed them, they will just get fat and I don't want that to happen. My doelings that grow in spurts, I hold over as dry yearlings, regardless if they are big enough to breed this year.
    I had some big doe kids this year, the ones I bred were 80lbs at 5-6 months of age! I usually wait until at least 8 months old to breed them though.

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Northern NY
    How big were there Moms ? I like to wait until my girls are close to 100lbs . If you do breed them now just make sure you have a good feeding plan so they continue to grow as they are growing babies. Lots of calcium.

Patty

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    At 80lbs they are heavy enough to breed. If they look to be in good shape and are growing nicely they will do fine to be bred.

5. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    They are not actually 80 pounds now. They weigh 65 pounds each and will be 5 months old in about a week. They are growing very steadily and I am guessing they will be at least 80 pounds in February. Their mother is about 125 and will be 2 in Jan. Their sire is I am guessing about 175.

6. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i usually don't breed the first year. i like to wait till they are two but that is just me. i did breed a yearling last year but she was over 100 lbs & would be over ayear old when she did kid. i also have one this year that was born in late feb. she is as big as my yearling doe so i will wait till late dec to bred her. if your doe is only 5 mo old i think i would wait. she still has alot of growing to do & needs all of her calcium & protein for her self.

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I would wait becuase of their age and the fact that they don't weigh much at this time.They need all of the nutients for themselves.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    weight them at the time you want ot breed them, if they are in good weight then make the decision then if not hold off till they are.

9. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    ditto, Stacey.
    80 lbs, especially for Nubians, is a good weight. Sarah is also right- a steady grower is the best to breed rather than the spurter.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh and yes i agree with the steady grower vs spurter as well.

11. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I have decided to wait. I will breed them early in the fall around August-September. I think that is best for their and the kid's health, which is more important. They haven't been growing much lately, anyway.

12. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Also think of when you want to be waiting for them to kid.
    breed in Feb = July kids,
    breed in Sept - Feb kids.

I am sure you know that, but I sometimes get in a rush thinking of when to breed, and need to remember when I want to be spending more time in the barn. lol.