Can I draw blood and send in CAE test myself?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cinder, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I have a neighbor who regularly draws blood on our farm animals. If I have her get the blood from my goats what is the proper way to store it for mailing and is there a lab that I can send it to myself?

Obviously I'm hoping doing it this way will be less expensive than having the vet do it.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes you can. There are a couple place you can send it off to. One is Washington State and the other is http://www.biotracking.com/cae.php. Biotracking is much cheaper. The blood dosen't have to be mailed overnight for them and the test itself is cheaper.

The blood you wrap in absorbent wrapping, tissues, paper towels, ect. and double bag it. I do each vial separate so that if one vial was to break it wouldn't get all over everything.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    WADDL is the washington state lab. I prefer WADDL for viral testing and fecals because they actually have DVM's, serologists, bacteriologists and what not on staff and they are certified as the states lab. It really is not that much more to do blood work with them and they are super nice (so is biotracking!)

With WADDL you can ship overnight through their FedEx number and it is about the same price as priority mailing.

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    since we are on the subject, does anyone know any websites on taking blood, etc?
    I live like an hour and a half from WADDL, do you have to ship it or can you just bring it in?

5. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Here's a site that shows how to do it. http://goatconnection.com/articles/publ ... _151.shtml

I've shipped priority to WADDL before, without any issues, I use them for most of my testing. However I think I'm going to use Biotracking for CAE testing...I know a lot of people who use them for that and pregnancy tests. WADDL has detailed instructions on how to pack your blood to mail it in on their website.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The only problem is if you are wanting to test for anything more then pregnancy or CAE, you would have to send to two different places and draw twice.

I do all my CAE, CL, and Johnes testing through WADDL with a single vial. Along with sending a fecal if needed.

7. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Good point Allison. :thumb:

8. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I send all my testing now to Biotracking.
    The cae is only 4 $ and they use Elisa testing
    which is 95% accurate.
    A side note on the pg testing though.
    I sent in blood for one of my does bred to my buck
    I put down in November..Biotracking said she was pregnant
    she was due this week, we did an ultrasound and xrays,
    she is not at all pregnant. Quite a huge bummer,
    she was several weeks bred when we sent in the blood
    and I am sad...I do want to let them know, just for the
    heck of it..I don't know what the accuracy of the pg test is..

9. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Wow that is really weird Victoria. Blood testing for pregnancy is supposed to be really accurate as far as I know. :shrug:

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have done all my pregnancy tests through biotracking with great success. Could your girl have resorbed? We actually caught one of mine doing that. Because of how far along she was supposed to be, the values were not as high and the PhD from there sent me an email saying that he would like to retest her in a couple weeks, as he was concerned she was resorbing. She did resorb and when we did bloodwork again a few weeks later it confirmed it.

I am going to send in blood for a few more next week, but I have had great success with their testing. One side note though - for minis they like to have them at 30 days post breeding instead of 26

11. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I am not sure what happened , I usually do not test for pregnancy, but REALLY wanted her to be bred as there were no more kids from Lion King. We pulled the blood about two months post breeding, can they resorb that far along?? How do you know if this is happening to your does??

I don't blame Biotracking at all, I love them and think they are great. I have had three really hard blows with my goats this winter, and the no pregnant was the third, now I am done and ready for happy happy joy joy!! I am egging on a good spring!!