The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black pygmy goat and she has lice I think I see little bugs I put seven dust on her and it is supposed to kill them but I was wondering if I could wash her and make her feel better any help is greatly appreciated thasnks!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the help!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks any tips on leash training goats I have goats but I need to no how to get them leash trainied any tips???

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Yep feel free to wash em at will :) Just remember water is like acid to goats so you might be in for a fight! But if you do it enough they get used to it pretty fast. Legion, my pack goat has had water training since he was just a few months old and now not only follows me into the water when I go fishing but actually prefers it on hot days. Instead of eating at the bank, he will stands out in the water with me waiting for me to catch a fish.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks will keep that in mind lol!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Umm I usually start with putting them in the lead while they are in the pen but you have to watch them and then I use feed like hold it I front of him them walk in front of them and get them to follow u:)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I don't use a halter either I would rather them have a collar on that way when I use a show chain it's not that big of a difference...:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
My goats need bath my buck really needs one, should I bring them inside and use warm water or is it ok to bathe them with the water hose, and if there is a slight breeze can my babies get sick? I'm so paranoid they will get pneumonia. I drive my husband crazy worrying about my goats lol.

·
376 Posts
I'd like to know the answer to that too! It's been so COOL for July (that is NOT a complaint.. just an observation!) I would like to give a couple of mine a bath or at least attempt to. So how cool is TOO cool for a bath?

In order to do this, do you have to tie all four feet together or something???? :p Just kidding! LOL So how does one go about getting them used to being bathed?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
bleatin g goat farm- the older ones will be fine with a hose even with a slight breeze not sure about the kids though

cheyeen- I have to wash my does in 60-70 degree weather they shiver some but once I dry them off their fine.

and I go about it just like you would a dog.

I actually use the goat head piece (hooks onto the fince) for the dog!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i use a dog harness to start my leash training, as it gets the goat used to being pulled from the neck shoulder area, but ive heard that sheep halters work well, it helps if they are friendly and want to be with you.collar is last on my list. we have a goat that will go any where with you as long as it's not a show collar. we show her on a choke chain, but never hold it like a show chain, she freaks out!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
as for your question about baths dawn is the best for fleas and other insects they run to the ears though so be sure to wash the ears thoroughly, but you may want to put some cotton in their ears soaked in tea tree oil to protect the inner ears. i think the dawn with skin conditioner may be better, as regular dawn does strip the oils. just be sure to dry them thoroughly, we use goat coats in cooler weather.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts