Can I give my goats this?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Nov 16, 2009.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since I work in a restaurant I have the availability to use anything we would normally throw away.
    We are getting 4 gallon buckets of sliced frozen apples for pies and they are packed in water with salt, sugar, ascorbic acid and citric acid. I have a gallon of the "juice" now to try. Would there be any harm in giving this to my goats? Obviously it could lead to diarrhea due to the apple juice in it and the other ingredients are simple and a plus I think with the salt and vitamin c. It is not syrup, it's more water like.

Your thots please :hug:

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I don't see why you couldn't use it as an occasional treat--I think it could be especially great for does after kidding when they need an extra boost.

Does it have actual sugar in it or corn syrup? If it has corn syrup I would be careful about feeding it to bucks/wethers because corn is rather high in phosphorus.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Its sugar...the sugar is usually in a "cake" on the top of the apples, and the ingredient list is simple...Jonathan Apples, sugar, salt , citric acid and ascorbic acid. I tasted some myself, it has an apple flavor with a saltiness to it. Not extremely sweet.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I cant see it hurting them -- none of those ingredients are harmful.

Citric Acid is actually very good for bucks -- keeps UC away :thumb:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I didn't think it would hurt them, just didn't want a herd with the cow pies!

My boys were fighting over who got their lips on the jug first! :greengrin:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well youknow how to introduce things -- just trust your instincts :thumb:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I actually dumped 1/2 gallon into 3 gallons of water in their bucket, they were trying to catch it as it was coming out of the jug :greengrin: