The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, this is a pitiful plea for those that would understand to feel sorry for me ... with me. :cry:

I've waited for several years to get goats. My hubby said this spring that I could go ahead and get two. I've been so excited... I've been learning all I can and getting their enclosures ready, etc.

A couple weeks ago I found a perfect 6x8 shed on Craigslist for $200. It was already on a trailer and they would bring it to us for a small gas fee. We went to see it (an hour drive), got there and it wasn't there. I called the lady and she said that it should be in the backyard of the house (which is empty and being renovated so nobody lives there). It wasn't there. She believes it was stolen! Never heard back from her ... hope she got her trailer and shed back.

Ahh - I'm trying to feel bad for myself here and my new kitten (we literally saved from being put to sleep at the vets office two weeks ago) is climbing on the computer and pressing the keys ... so if things are spelled funny ... it's not my fault. And, now I'm smiling... drats!!

Anyway, back to the sob story...

I found another shed on Craigslist for FREE!! We went to see it - the lady told me it was about 10x12 - perfect again. It was 14x23... we have no way to move it. But, while there I saw she had several old tires and some wooden spools. I asked her about them and she said I could have all of them for FREE!!! Perfect goat toys. I was ecstatic, we went back home and I got in our pickup to go get them. It wouldn't run! I called her and she said that her landlords said she had to have those things gone by the next day (last Saturday) so I called around to the couple of people that I know that have pickups to borrow. None were available. Saturday the lady told me that I could wait until today to come get them. Hurray again! I could borrow a pickup today. She e-mailed me yesterday morning and said that the landlords threw everything away on Sunday - they changed their minds about letting me come today.

I've been looking for old tires and spools for almost a year and have only found three little tires - these were larger tires. I'm so disappointed.

Maybe I'm not supposed to get goats. :shrug:

Now, she's playing on my feet.... it's hard to have a pity party when such an adorable little kitten thinks you're the best thing in the world. I'm going to try to post pictures of her if I can get this to work.

This is her sleeping in her favorite spot .. on anyone's shoulder... this is my hubby.

This is her 'helping' me on the computer...

This is her with my pomeranian. My dog thinks she's the kitties momma.

Thanks for letting me gripe. Ahhhh... here she comes again...

How can I be unhappy? I may not have goats but I have this little darling!

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Contact your local electric company. They have spools and will usually give them away. Also contact tire stores that are in outlaying areas as the will give away the big farm tires also - Just thought that I would let you know. I hope things work out and you get your goaties soon. What area are you located?

Allison

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
OH MAN. All I have ot say is it ALL happens for a reason. Try not to get down on all this. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

OH, that kitten is so adorable. Also try your local cable company or Electric company.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :hug: It gets better.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Hi, I know how you feel...frustrated! Sometimes you just have to get out in the yard with a hammer and nails (or in my case screws and a cordless screwdriver) and build yourself a big box! A few 2x4's and some plywood and pretty soon you have a cute little goat house. I'll take a pic of mine and show you what I mean. Where do you live (general area is fine), maybe someone here can help you get a little start...if we know where we're starting!

Good luck, that kitten is cute! Di

·
Registered
645 Posts
It's gotta be hard to be totally down in the dumps with such a cute kitty to play with; :angel:

If your local electricians don't have any empty spools they'd like to make go away (they usually will give them away as they take storage space & cost them $ to dispose of) try your local Menards and/or Home Depot. Frequently, they'll have the empty spools for sale in their outdoor supplies for just a few dollars. They will also occasionally have those packaged shed deals available dirt cheap if they've been damaged in shipping, returned, or have some other thing wrong that makes them inappropriate for sale but still fine for a goat pen.

Try it.... nothing to lose at this point.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's annoying when it seems like everytthing that can go wrong does, but look on the bright side, you're getting the troublesome stuff with goats out of the way before you even get them! I hope something pops up soon. What kind of goats are you getting? How old? When I got my first two three month old Nigerian dwarfs their shelter was a big doghouse for the first few months before I found a shed. For toys, they certainly don't need them, and you can work on getting some after you get them. Picnic tables work great as toys as do boulders and you can even make your own playgym with plywood, and add to it as you get new toys.

Adorable kitten too :love:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Boy I know how down you can be and I do hope things look up for you soon. Good luck!

Oh and that kitty is ADORABLE!!!!!!!! :love: I am a huge sucker for a cat and boy do they know how to work their way into my life!!! :D Too cute!!! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are so sweet, I really do appreciate all of you and your kind words.

Also, your helpful ideas are great ... my husband has been out of work for seven months (part of my sad story :cry: ) so getting those items for free or almost was part of what was so great.

Anyway, I'll check out the places you all suggested.

Di - I live SE of Denver, Colorado. I'd love to see your shed. I do have a doghouse and great fenced area all ready for them as babies but within a few months they'd need to move to something bigger (it's only about 633 sq. feet) and I don't know if I can finish that bigger area now with all this issues and no money. Isn't life grand?

The guy who I was getting the goats from (two Nigerian Dwarfs) called yesterday ... he has eight kids on the ground from this weekend for me to chose from?????!!!! Now what do I do? He's giving me first dibs and has other people waiting for me to make my choices. I don't know if I should go tomorrow and see them or just tell him I can't do it this year. I'd have to put down a deposit but wouldn't have to pay for them until June when I bring them home. I seriously don't know what to do. Think with my brain and I have to say no to goats this year. Listen to my heart and go for it anyway. AARRRGGHHH!! :hair:

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Oh ND dont need that much space - so even if it is for a year or so that they live in a dog house and smaller pen they will do fine.

Go for it. Pick out the ones you like and then work slowly on expanding their pen and shelter.

If you found 2 on craigs list what is there so say that you won't find something else that works.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Cinder, what town do you live in? I bet you are not to far from me.

Go on Craigs list. that is the best place to get free stuff. I got enough wood that we built a 10 x 20 I believe hay barn. It was all free other then the gas and time to go get it, but I have a lot of it left over that I am going to use to build ANOTHER buck barn.

Tell me where you are and I will see if I can help you.

I in Peyton, South of Kiowa.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sweetgoats - I was going to PM you and then realized that I can't yet. So, I live in Elizabeth, probably about 40 minutes from you!! How cool is that? I'm open to any ideas you have. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
OH how wonderful.
Hey give me a email and I would like to tell you about a GREAT clinic that is going on the 26 of this month in Greeley. It would be WONDERFUL to go to so you are even more ready for those goats.

[email protected]. Please feel free to call me tonight after maybe 7:00. I will see what I can do to help you out. 719-749-0195
Lori

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Well, here are pics of our little goatie houses. They are made of mostly scrap, but we did use a good metal roof. We used an inexpensive fiber board on the sides, we'll probably cover that later this year with something that looks nicer. But, they are warm and dry and very comfy, according the "girls".

Please note: We are not builders (obviously). These are strickly a diy project. lol But, they work fine. We do have a barn that the girls kidded in...but they would have been fine here too.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Di - Thanks for the pictures ... great job! Is there a divider inside so there are two separate sides or are there just two doors into one big room inside?

If it is one big room inside why two doors?

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
This is the 2nd one we built. The first one has one door and Izzy would stand in the doorway and not let Cocoa in! So, when we built #2 we put in two doors, it is going to be seperated on the inside...but we didn't get that done yet. In any case, it seems to work ok. Both does use it and don't have the problem one door caused. Go figure!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts