Can I justify yet ANOTHER goat? new developement - last post

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Jul 1, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok so I "stupidly" told Teri at pocketsized goats that I maybe interested in looking for another adult doe this fall. She e-mails me back and says to look at her herd reduction page and especially Starlight. you can see her here http://www.pocketsizedgoats.com/herdred ... spage.html

she is for sale at 300.00 and she told me and I believe her that is a steal. She is even possibly bred to Victory Flame the 2007 National Champion. Her twin sister is a Master Grand Champion and is also for sale (sale pending) for $1200.00

she is currently dry which is a bummer :( but with her being possibly bred how can I go wrong?

But who to sell then? :tears:

I am actually thinking Sweet pea maybe the best to sell and I may keep her daughter Candence instead. So Candence wouldn't be bred till next fall or maybe the spring/summer leaving me with only Angie Mia and Aspen to be bred this fall/winter (angie not till like January or February).

I can't bear to sell Mia or Aspen at this point. I have tried and tried but I really want to keep this a fun thing and not about the business angle of it. So I need to keep them to keep the true vision.

I need to give Teri an answer back about Starlight but I fear what my mom will say :pray:

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: Can I justify yet ANOTHER goat?

yes. yes you can

do what i did with my dad. i wanted to get a doe in nevada and he said no more goats.. so i just went to the show got the doe.. and didn't tell him about it.. 6 months later he said" when did you get this one" i said i had had her for years and he need s to pay more attention.. he fell for it.
    hah :wahoo:

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

wish I could do that. lol

with such a small herd and everyone knowing all my goats and their names etc very difficult for them to miss a new goat. My dad might not notice but my mom and brothers will.

My brothers didnt' know I was getting Angie and as soon as they got home and were out with the goats they said "when did you get the new one?"

See I did tell my mom I would get down to 5 goats (very reasonable number of 4 does and one wether). Well now I want yet another doe :GAAH:

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca

The trouble is that you are asking the wrong question- there is no justification possible.
    The true question is "Can I live without this perfectly marvelous doe?" You will then have the answer- of course the next question is " How can I arrange this without too much difficulty?" lol

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN

I like her but I like sweet pea too. You have a hard choice to make.

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007

I know how hard it is sell. I had to make the hard decision to reduce the pygmy herd. I am no longer breeding pygmy goats. My buck will be for sale this fall. I've already sold all of the kids and two mature does. I am down to 3 does and 1 wether. I want to move on with the nubians and I cant get to the shows if I have all these other animals at home. So it was a decision that had to be made.

Goodluck in deciding!!

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

if she is bred then it would be prefect to have some does kidding in the spring and then have some for the fall.

I think I will see how Sweet Pea does at the show and what people say about her. I still fear she is over height.

I really want to get her and keep all my others......but when does this end? of course if I didn't have this nagging feeling that I need to keep my numbers down (aka mom and dad) I would have her already.

But my brother just got the ok to get a python snake! :shocked: so I think I should be able to get another goat :scratch:

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Stacey, my goodness it would be difficult to pass her up....especially seeing that her twin had such a high placement!! Well, is it possible to play the "spoiled brat game " with your folks? I mean go the "well you let him get a snake but you won't let me get a goat that will at least provide me/us with something" route and pout....it might help :shrug: :ROFL:

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I already told my dad "hey he can have another reptile but i cant' have anymore goats! thats not fair" he was like "I never said you couldn't have anymore" me "uhhuh and when you say 'boy you have a bazillion goats out there' you are telling me I have enough" dad "true enough" "and we both know mom thinks I have PLENTY and I did tell her I would get down to 5 goats last year so I do want to try to honor that ..."

Anyway........so he does know. He would be easier to win over, mom isnt so easy. And it isnt that she doesnt like them or is being mean about it (just want to get that straight) she just wants there to be just enough for me to handle and not to many that i get overwhelmed. This years kidding with 6 does was WAY more then I needed. And she helped a ton with kkidding and taking care of kids afterwards.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i started with one bred doe.. now i have a herd of 13 nigerians. 4 bucks!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

land is also a factor. I need a bigger pen. The bigger pen is coming..............but I don' have the space now.

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

oh yea i know that feeling.

13. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

:slapfloor: I have to laugh when I hear you young girls playing your fathers! I remember..."But Daddy, I need...." My step-mom used to say she could watch him melt from across the room. She said it was the "daddy" thing.

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Well Stacey. How about making a deal. (let me tell you a quick :slapfloor: story).
    Ok a very dear friend gave me Liz (the doe I lost to cancer) 5 years ago. Well now this lady has two beautiful does that she knows I would just love to have. Well she emailed me and asked if I would like to have them. I asked her what she wanted for them. I told her that my daughter has to check her goat account to see what she has in there for money. Well, she said she would GIVE them to us. (ME) because we show at the Colorado State Fair on my Birthday) so she is giving them to me for a Birthday gift. These two girls are from some of the TOP does and Bucks in the Cashmere world (in the US). I have not even seen them and she will bring them to me so we can show them at the fair. :leap:

SO STACEY. If you get this new goat, I will get my TWO new ones. I really want them so you have to get yours. :stars: Will that work for you?

See the story goes, when she gave me Liz, Liz beat all her goats for years. So She is like "well I am so use to you kicking my a** with my goats so hey why not keep up the tradition? The problem with her is she has over 300 goats and she can not take care of them all, so they do not get the care and all that they really do need.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Lori you are to funny :slapfloor:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok new developement

Just got an e-mail stating that I have first dibs on Windy

She is also on her herd reduction sales page - link again http://www.pocketsizedgoats.com/herdred ... spage.html

she is 500.00 but currently I do believe in milk which is a big plus

Starlight is the color I wanted but not in milk - 300.00

they are both right next to one another.

I need oppions on which is better!

My thoughts right now are to sell Aspen since she is my skittish one and then replace her with this registered one who comes from good milking lines.

I worry about Aspen being CAE positive and me feeding her milk to the registered kids so I need to get her tested but Windy and Starlight come from a CAE closed herd.

I am not a big CAE person but I do want to have a healthy herd that people want to purchase from.

Please give oppions.

Thanks

17. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    If you have the chance to add quality goats like that to your herd, then I would go for it. I know what you mean about space issues, I sold off all my grades this year, it was hard to see them go, but I had to do it so that I could concentrate on the rest of my breedings.

Windy is Saturn's daughter, why not go with her? She also has her milk star, which is a plus. Could she be possibly be bred to Victory Flame too? I ask because I remember hornless talking about how they left him in with their does.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I guess.......not sure on that. I know she said Starlight is possibly bred to Victory Flame (that is if he could get the deed done with his injury)

scroll down to the end of the page and you will see her kids from this year http://www.pocketsizedgoats.com/kidsforsale.html Buck kids are being sold for 400.00! And she had triplets.

Oh Starlight has mostly triplets and one set of twins. she is 5 years old while Windy is 2 years.

Part of me wants to get both! LOL but I don't htink I have the money for that!! :shocked:

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I would (only if you can) go for Windy.

My biggest reasons for her over the other is -

- she is in milk (which you really want)
    - she has more to offer in her pedigree
    - she is alot younger then the other - which means more "breedings" are possible before retirement
    - color is nicer (in my opinion)
    - she has not "left the ranch" and returned later from another home

These are just my opinions..... They are both nice girls - but for 200 more - if you can swing it - I would.

(I really like Lilly personally - LOL!)

20. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio