The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our situation - we have 3 boers, 2 does and a buck. we also have 2 Nubian does and 2 doelings. I really want to get a buck for the Nubians. our boer buck is almost 1 1/2 yrs old, I was looking at a Nubian buckling on craigslist today that is a couple months old. I was thinking (hoping) I could get the buckling young so it would grow up with the boer buck and they'd ultimately get along while being kept in the same area. any thoughts? I'm assuming he's been dehorned as he was part of a 4h project, but I've asked the owners and am waiting on a reply. our buck has horns.

our buck is getting frisky and I want him to have his own area when he's in rut. he's getting a bit aggressive and i've taken to carrying a 2x4 with me when i'm out there. usually he's a big baby and my 4yo say's he's her prince lol

the lady we got the boers from keeps her bucks each in it's own enclosure all the time. the lady we got the Nubians from keeps her buck with her herd except when he's in rut, then he gets his own area which is what I was thinking of doing. that's pretty much all the experience we have with bucks. help! lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Horns and no horns don't mix.

Today we just sold our one and a half year old buck to a woman with a large herd. He was getting aggressive at times towards us and towards our 3 does and 7 month old wether. The wether, Blackie, was scared of him. He would play with Cafe but then Cafe would get aggressive with his horns trying to lift him up by his middle or his leg caught in his big horns.

We had them altogether until 2days ago when he almost broke his mother's leg between his horns when she wanted some of the mesquite pods he thought were his. We had to separate him and he hated it.

God blessed us with a wonderful new home with lots of other goats and some sheep. He will be happier and so will we. Our 3 does are pregnant and due in October. At least we won't have to worry about him causing a miscarriage.

Hope this long entry helps you with your buck questions.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
My bucks run together and get along well...once they have plenty of fence guarded face to face to get to know each other they do well...Amos is about 250# Thunder close to 180# and Jr is about 80#..they all three do well...

a mix crew of horns/no horns is no more dangerous than all horns, goats knowhow to use them, period....just don't have collars on them to get tangled in.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I wouldn't put a 2 month old in with a 1 1/2 year old with horns, too easy for the big boy to get a hold of the little guy and hurt him. I do have all of my bucks together, a 2 year old, yearling, 2 December buck kids, a 6 month old Boer (with horns) and a 3 month old Alpine, but none are in rut or even starting to be in rut and they all get along great. I do have it set up so the younger boys can get under one fence and get away from the big boys if necessary, and they get their own feed in there too so they all get enough.

If your boy is aggressive towards you he will most likely be aggressive towards another buck. Have you tried spraying him with a spray bottle? You might also try having a collar on him and clipping him to the fence every time you go in the pen so he isn't loose around you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for the replies. our buck is not usually aggressive, only the last couple weeks. looks like one of the girls are in heat & he's been following her around making this weird barking sound & has gotten pretty stinky compared to normal. usually he's a big baby and very sweet, my 4yo was laying down on him a couple months ago for about 1/2 an hour. he's gotten lots of attention since we got him at 4mos old. right now they're all running together. if we got the little guy I was planning on keeping him with the girls & does & put the big buck in his own area till he got used the the little guy through the fence. i'm thinking keep him in there alone till he's out of the rut then the little guy would be bigger and hopefully they'll get along. is that sound reasoning? we've had goats about a yr and a half, i'm far from an expert on behavior!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh... I should also say that our big buck is not aggressive with my husband or kids. only me. someone told me that was because i'm female, not sure but it makes sense. he's ok with the kids too but I keep them out of there right now unless i'm with them just to be safe.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I wouldn't put a 2 month old in with a 1 1/2 year old with horns, too easy for the big boy to get a hold of the little guy and hurt him.
I should also say that our big buck is not aggressive with my husband or kids. only me
I agree not to put a very young buck in with older bucks..he should be large enough to hold his own..
an aggressive buck needs to be put in his place..next time he shows aggression toward you be prepared to grab one font leg and the opposite back leg and flip him then hold him down with you knee...this does not hurt him!! Once he is calm and no longer fighting to get up..get off him and walk away..don't even look back at him..this will teach him whose boss..

DO WATCH YOUR FACE IF HE HAS HORNS...AS THIS PROCESS COULD JAB YOU ..NO FUN... Ive done this with young bucks (works faster) and big bucks alike..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've wrestled big dogs to the ground like that, no problem & no fear. but a goat?? I've never thought about that but it makes sense. he's a big boy though, bigger than most boers I've seen in the area. i'm not tiny by any stretch of the imagination but not sure I could do that. I wish i'd heard of it earlier when he was smaller. though he's never shown any aggression before now. is there any thing else I can do if I don't have the strength to wrestle him to the ground? would it make things worse in the long run if I just put him in his own area when it's breeding season? I can give him hay over the fence and wouldn't have to deal with him too much. (the boers are my husbands project, he does the dirty work for them). getting rid of him isn't really an option. these are some pretty high quality full blooded boers & it'd be pretty hard finding another one like him (w/in reasonable driving distance).
if it comes down to it i'll keep the bucks separate, i'd just rather them get along so they won't be alone. don't really want to feed a couple wethers just so they can have company.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
If you can put them side by side in pens that will help them get to know as you wait for the younger buck to get some size on him...I would also avoid rut season when you are ready to pen them together..

Yes a full size Boer does present a challenge to flip him..lol..others have use a squirt bottle, piece of PVC pipe to donk them with..my friend carried a cast iron skillet..and her buck was bottle raised by her lol...dont think she ever had to use it lol
I now teach mine a respectful distance...they are all spoiled and enjoy being loved on..but when I need to clean their water or feed dish I dont want them pestering me lol..They do tend to be a bit more pushy when in rut..

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I've flipped a full size Boer once. I just got a hold of his opposite front hoof by reaching under his belly. I then just pulled it down and towards his back feet and pushed his neck/body down towards that leg. He kind of lost his balance and went down pretty easy lol. Being female could be part of why he is being aggressive towards you, you may smell slightly like a doe and he thinks you are his next girlfriend. A friend that has camels doesn't let his wife around his bull camel just for this reason, another friend of his almost had his wife get killed by their bull when he tried to smush her to the ground (camels breed laying down). I would never turn your back on him and if he does continue to get worse, it might be better to have hubby feed him until he is done breeding your girls. Or if you can, clip him to the fence while feeding so you don't have to fight with him, I have heard of a lot of people who will lead the buck by his beard so they can get through the gate without him ramming them. Bucks hate their beards being pulled and are very well behaved when you have a hold of it. It does get pretty nasty, but it is much better to have control of him and get a little stinky in the process than to get hurt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it depends on the animal. Unless one of them is just out right hateful you should be able to keep them together in the long run. Most people I know keep their buck together. Some of our friends even have their standard bucks in with their minis and Nigerian buck...they have a big farm with a lot of breeds, I think they have 9 bucks/bucklings right now. The 3 bucklings are in a pen together until they get big enough to go in with the big boys.

We had 3 together for a while. Same age, grew up together. But one of them turned into a little you know what. So he got put in his own little pen until he was sold to a farm with just girls. He was only mean to the other bucks, not us.
Our main buck is a doll, but when he goes into rut he becomes a handful, so we just feed him and bring him girl friends. After rut he is the biggest lap dog on the place once more...maybe your boer will calm back down after the breeding season.

ETA: Our boy tried to mount my hubby at the start of last years breeding season cuz he was so worked up...never did it again tho

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I keep my bucks together in their own turn out when not covering does. When my youngest buck was at the point of being weaned from the herd I placed him in a lot with my LGD near the other buck lot. I did this until they got to know each other and he got a bit bigger. I then took my smaller older buck (was about a year older then the younger guy which was about 8 months to 10 months by this point) and placed him with the youngest buck and placed the LGD in with the older buck until the two bucks made friends. Now that he had a friend and they knew the rules to play by I placed all three bucks into the same lot with the LGD. They all get along greatly now. Nubian bucks for the most part are very gentle bucks. All of mine are so safe a child could play in their lot and not get a scratch. Now if I remember how my uncles boer bucks were when I was little, I think they can be more forceful so you would want to be sure they get along. I do like having two lots side by side that they can adjust to each other before being together.

As of right now I have one buckling from this year I am retaining and he is in a buckling lot with our llama until he reaches a good size to be introduced to our smallest buck. We plan to follow the same procedure we did last season.

I have always been told to never turn your back on a buck, but our guys are so gentle I turn my back all the time. Just know your goats. The spray bottle works great. I had a young buck that was very pushy when he was young (wanted to rub his head on my leg and was getting too big for that behavior). So I took a water pistol and carried it around when in his lot. This worked like a dream. Easier to carry then a spray bottle and they don't hold it against you when you need to use it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
... as i sneak into my kids room when they're not watching and steal a squirt gun!... lol
i'll give it a try. I've been carrying a 2x4 just because it was handy but it's a bit awkward. my husband is going to get a kick out of my packing a squirt gun, maybe i'll borrow one of his holsters:ROFL: the picture in my head of someone going out to milk the goats with a cast iron skillet is priceless. too funny.

i might borrow a collar from my bullmastiff and put it on Cletus (our buck). i like the idea of clipping him to the fence if i need to be in there and not be bothered. my bullmastiff went after Cletus one day, i didn't see what happened but i'm thinking that Cletus went after me behind my back and my dog was protecting me. he's no longer allowed in the goat area, don't want him hurt.

i go look at the little buck tomorrow. if i bring him home i'm definitely putting Cletus a separate area for awhile. i'm kind of mad at him right now, he was such a sweetie!

thank you all for the help!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I've kept multiple goats together with no problems, but all of mine have/had horns. I've also put young - 3 to 4 months - bucks in with the adults with no problems. It just depends on the buck.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
... as i sneak into my kids room when they're not watching and steal a squirt gun!... lol
i'll give it a try. I've been carrying a 2x4 just because it was handy but it's a bit awkward. my husband is going to get a kick out of my packing a squirt gun, maybe i'll borrow one of his holsters:ROFL: the picture in my head of someone going out to milk the goats with a cast iron skillet is priceless. too funny.

i might borrow a collar from my bullmastiff and put it on Cletus (our buck). i like the idea of clipping him to the fence if i need to be in there and not be bothered. my bullmastiff went after Cletus one day, i didn't see what happened but i'm thinking that Cletus went after me behind my back and my dog was protecting me. he's no longer allowed in the goat area, don't want him hurt.

i go look at the little buck tomorrow. if i bring him home i'm definitely putting Cletus a separate area for awhile. i'm kind of mad at him right now, he was such a sweetie!

thank you all for the help!
Your husband and kids probably will not like my suggestion ;)

Oh I carried mine shoved in my back pocket but went through two as the first one started to leak. . . :eek: :p it led to a good conversation starter when my hubby got home. . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts