Can I permanently house my two 4 month old bucks together?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by maryanne1620, Sep 12, 2012.

1. maryanne1620

maryanne1620 New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I just moved to an acreage and purchased 2 Nubian 2012 does and 2 Nubian 2012 bucks that I will be using as my foundation herd.
    I have two bucks that are about the same age at 4 months old and they are kind of just starting to go into their first rut but will not be used for breeding this season.
    I have heard from a couple people that I bought my goats from that they can absolutely not be housed together. Is that true? I made my pens and pastures in such a way thinking that they would be okay together, but one of the people said they kept two bucks together and one of them died from stress.
    They are about the same age and one of them is a little bigger than the other. The little bit bigger one seems to be a little more 'strong' than the little bit smaller one that is more timid...but those personalities that I am seeing could be from stress from moving them to their new home.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. My thinking is that they might be okay since they will be together from such a young age...is that right? Or doesn't it matter?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. I do noT know for sure wiTH Nubians.
    I raise Nigerian Dwarfs and I keep all my bucks TogeTHer when THey are noT breeding.
    They range in age from 5years-5 monThs. This Time of year when They sTarT geTTing exTra ruTTy THe youngsTers will be seperaTed buT oTHer THen ThaT THey are all fine.

3. We have Nigerians also and we house our three bucks together. Like Logan, ours range in age. Ours are from 6 months to 3 years. We also have two, 1 year old, weathers that live with them and they are all buddies. They get along great and don't fight. We take them from their pasture when we use them from breeding and put them into a stall with the doe so they don't compete with each other of feel threatened.

4. xymenah

xymenah Member with a bahhh

Jul 1, 2011
    Mount Olive, NC
    My aunt has a large dairy and keeps up to 10 bucks in one pen together even when rutting. Never seen any problems with it. In fact by themselves they get quite lonely.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You will have to watch and see,
    if they don't get to rough,they will be OK.

Some bucks can't be housed together, while others are the best of buds. ;)

6. maryanne1620

maryanne1620 New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Thank you so much for your responses. One of the people I got my bucks from reassured me that I could try housing them together. I put them to together in their pen in the barn first and when they noticed each other they did a little bit of sniffing each other and then proceeded to each pee on themselves. I can definitely tell who the more dominant is...that one just follows the other one everywhere and has tried to mount him a couple times. Trumps(the more dominant one) kept his tail straight up on his back for most of the time they were together, and the more submissive one Lincoln had his up too but not quite as much as Trumps. They haven't done any head butting but there has been some scuffling with Trumps clicking his teeth and tongue and kind of being in Lincoln's face. Once I opened them up to the pasture they seemed to be too hungry to do much else, but then when I went inside Trumpt kept bugging Lincoln so I went back out there and they resumed just eating.
    Is that bad for me to step in like that? Even if it made them be seemingly more comfortable with each others' presence?
    Lincoln got out of the pasture underneath the gate later in the afternoon so I don't know if he was trying to get away from the other buck or just wanted to explore...He tried to get back in but then became spooked by us trying to catch him. We spent the afternoon trying to find where he went and we finally caught him as we found he was returning home.
    If he was returning home does that mean he wanted to be with Trumps? Trumps was crying all day after the other guy went missing. I haven't reunited them yet...wanted to wait til Lincoln got dry and warmed up from being in the rain.
    Maybe I am reading too much into their behavior, but I don't want to stress Lincoln out with Trumps' nagging, but maybe I just have to suck it up and deal with letting them take care of things?
    Sorry for all these questions...
    I am so new to all of this but am so glad I found this forum :)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  7. Zarafia

Zarafia Senior Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Archer, FL
    I'd bet that he escaped from the pen just because that's what goats do; escape from their pens LOL.
    Obviously Trumps missed him. It sounds like they are starting to bond.
    IMHO goats need other goats to really be happy. I think your boys will eventually become almost inseperable. My boys are, even though they've got a girl with them. Of course, one of my boys is a wether now.
    But as long as you've got just those two bucks they should become the best of friends.

8. maryanne1620

maryanne1620 New Member

Sep 12, 2012
    I am happy to report that Trumps and Lincoln spent the whole day together after their reunion this morning. They had to re-establish their pecking order but were grazing together all day. I came home from work tonight after my first day back since the 'kids' arrived and found them getting ready to go to sleep in their pen in the barn cuddled up next to each other in the corner. I think this is going to work :)

9. Monte

Monte New Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I keep Dairy and Angora Bucks together with no problem, If possible don't let them see the female goats, otherwise you will have a lot of fence butting and trying to get to the Does, Goats can breed at 5 months and that urge gets stronger as they get older.