Can I re-start milking?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by AndersonAcres, Apr 3, 2010.

1. AndersonAcres

AndersonAcres New Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Alberta
    Lady is our Saanen milk goat that I stopped milking in December. It was getting just too cold to milk, and we were hoping that she was bred, as she'd been with the buck from September to December. Today I checked her gut to see if I could feel any movement and I suspect that she isn't pregnant, she would be 4 months along from the latest possible breeding date, and she doesn't look like there's any kids in her.

Her udder is still large even after almost 4 months of not milking, and I squeezed a teat and the milk flowed. I imagined she sighed in relief! :p If she is not expecting, would it be possible for me to just start milking her again? Our frozen milk supply is nearly gone and I was hoping she would kid and I would be getting fresh milk soon!

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Colleen

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I dont know much about milking, and this might be completely wrong, but I would think she should be dry after 4 mths, maybe she is in fact pregnant and this is the start of her next lactation?

but I guess, if she IS still in milk, and its true milk, not that horrible tasting salty stuff, it wouldnt hurt to start milking again I suppose ...

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    After 4 months, she would be dry, as Keren said tho...she is likely starting into her next lactation. If she's gone this long without being milked, it wouldn't hurt to wait and see if she delivers in the next month.Milk her now and she is preggy, you'll be taking that precious colostrum from her kids.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    If she wasnt milk for 4 months she would be dried off by now there is just no way she would stay in lactation without being milked.
    Did you dry her off properly when you were done milking? Or did you just stop milking and leave her to dry off on her own?

I wouldnt milk her because she is probably pregnant - the only other reason she would produce milk is if she wasnt fully dried off the milk might still be just in her udder (never experienced this before because I always dry mine off slowly till they dont produce milk anymore and then I strip them out) or if she was being a precocious milker

5. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    I would milk her out at least once and watch her. If the udder refills, she could be going into extended lactation and should be milked. Any time you leave milk in the udder, you are taking a chance on mastitis.

I've talked to several people who have milked a goat right up to kidding and they all said the goat produced colostrum starting just before she kidded.