can i reburn....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goattee22, Feb 13, 2011.

1. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Hi, me again! :wave: I'm just full of questions these past few days.

Anyways, I had a local goat breeder disbud a 2 wk old nigi doeling for me. The doeling is now 5 wks old and the scabs just now came off and I am noticing a dark point starting to barely break thru the skin! Is this going to be a scur??? I have a feeling it is, but I've never dealt with this before. Just to be sure she doesn't scur can I reburn this bud even though she's 5wks old? I have never done it before But I ordered the disbudding iron yesterday from Jeffers. Hopefully it gets here soon and I can take care of this, but how long do I hold the iron on it since its already been burned once before? Any advice on this is much appreciated!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I don't take horns ...so I am not much help...but... I know there are those on here ...that can.... :wink: :hug:

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just bumped up my disbudding post, it has pictures so you can see the right way to do disbudding. :)

If she does have horns coming through I would burn again. If you have banamine I would give her some since the older they are the worse they take it.

4. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    What is banamine and where can I get it in Canada? Is it a shot or liquid?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Usually from a vet...here...not sure if Canada has it or not... Banamine comes in a liquid and is injected.... :wink:

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    In the US you have to have a prescription for Banamine. It's a great pain relief/fever reducer for livestock. It's definitely worth having on hand.

7. goattee22

goattee22 New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Dayton, TX
    Thanks! And yeah I was afraid it would be worse on her since she's getting older :(

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    It won't be terrible - just make sure you burn down to the white (you will see the horn separate a bit from the base and that's where you see the white)