Can I still milk her?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Perfect7, May 28, 2010.

1. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Okay, so tonight I went to buy a boer doeling and ended up buying her mother as well! Not sure how that happened. :chin: The doeling is 11 weeks old and her twin buckling was weaned off and sold about a month ago. The doeling is still nursing, the doe lets her briefly, but it's obvious her udder is no longer full and is drying up. Is it too late to begin trying to milk the doe? Can her production increase again or is it just too late? Also, would this be harmful to her? She is in excellent health and five years old.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she's willing, go for it! 3 months isn't too late to try and milk, even in a doe not "meant" for a long lactation. You might have better results if you separate her kid at night and slowly increase the amount of feed she may need to keep her condition.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I agree! It is worth a try if you really want the milk! :)

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Our family has never tried goat's milk (with the exception of me when I was a kid from our neighbors' goats and it was disgusting because they kept the buck in with the does). DH just brought some back from Wal-Mart to try first. It's GOOD! Kids loved it. I'm sure fresh is much better, and now I'm really excited to give it a try.
    Will her udder fill up more as we milk her? I doubt this poor girl has ever been milked in her life, she was a boer goat "whether maker". :laugh:
    Thank you for the help!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree.........yes ........her udder and milk production will increase ...as you feed her well and milk her .... :wink: :greengrin:

6. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    Awesome! Thank you guys. :hug:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Be prepared though....once you have a very cold glass of fresh goats milk, you will never want to buy the store bought ever again.(Sorry, tried the store bought pasteurized stuff and thought it was gross) :sick:

8. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    If you liked store bought goat milk you'll LOVE your own. The only brand we have in stores here comes from Ohio I think and starts with an M and ends with a G. I don't mean to diss any particular brand, but that stuff is VERY goaty. Might be good for cheese making but for drinking....pass.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    No Problem..... enjoy your milk.... :thumb: :greengrin: