Can I use a metal pail as a feed bucket?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kittikity, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I plan on feeding my goats their grain individually so I got a couple cute metal pails.. The thought passed through my mind before I bought them if the goats would eat out of metal pails or if they'd be picky about it.. I figured it shouldn't matter.. But I can't get it out of my head ever since.. I know they can be picky about some weird things.. Just thought I'd ask.. Yeah, I'm such a noob..

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Don't see why not, as long as they can get their faces to the bottom without injuring their eyes on the rim( if they are the tall narrow pails), also they can be cleaned just like plastic, but watch for spots on them as most commercial feeds have salt added to them and it will cause the metal to rust. :greengrin:

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I think a metal pail would be just fine. I use metal pans so I am sure it would be just fine.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I doubt that would be a problem at all. Just make sure if they have horns that they can get in and out without getting caught.

5. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    [​IMG]

The pail in question.. I just thought they looked very.... country.. Yeah, I'm still too city.. I still see a wagon wheel as the token country life image.. lol Besides, the pails were pretty cheap too.. Plenty of room for their faces, good size for about a cup or two of grain..

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good choice! The galvanized won't get spotty like stainless does....My mom uses a round galvanized washtub for her water "trough" on her goats, works fine and it's easy to dump with the handles on both sides.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, that should work great! Hopefully they won't tip it over and waste grain is the only thing I could think might happen.

8. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Well, I plan on hanging them up on the side of the stalls so they can put their faces in it but not their feet.. That's something I learned I wanted to avoid when I was working at the goat farm.. They used the big shallow pans on the floor and there were several times the goats would step on the pan and tip it over.. I can't stand waste so I want to do whatever I can to avoid stuff like spilling.. I realize they're going to waste hay though, that I know can't be avoided.. But you can bet I'm going to try different ways to see how I can get the least amount of waste.. :)