The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave one of our does (15 months old) CD/T toxoid vaccine yesterday afternoon. She was about one-month over due. She had scratches by cattle panel edges in the evening because another doe pushed her into it. I heard it takes 3-4 weeks for the vaccine to work. I wonder if I should give her Tetanus Anti-Toxin. Can I use both in the short time? Thank you so much for your advise.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. That means I can use Tetanus Anti-Toxin now. Do you know how many doses and how much amount should I give her? If not, I can research on-line. Thank you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wanted to make sure if it is okay to mix up the both shots (CD/T toxoid vaccine and Tetanus Anti-Toxin) inside the body right after I gave the vaccine.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
Are the scrapes deep? One dose preventive will do. It stays in the system for 7 to 10 days. Colorado serum company who makes the antitoxin suggest a full vile for prevention. It's about 4 to 5 cc. Sub q. You can restart your vaccines in 10 days.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I dont normally give the antitoxin unless wounds are deep where the tetanus bacteria can hide. Shallow cuts allow too much oxygen for the bacteria to flourish. A good cleaning and wound spray maybe enough.. It's a case by case decision. Hope she heals well for you. I love Vetrycin wound spray.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just came back from local tractor supply store. Antitoxin was out of stock. They won't have it until next week.
This is one of the problems about living in Hawaii.We only have two country stores on this side of island.
I have antitoxin at home but it was expired in November last year. I can not give her antitoxin anyway. I bought a wound spray.. I will check her scrapes soon. Thank you for much for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.