Can my doeling get pregnant?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by trailhound, Apr 12, 2008.

1. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    I got my little doe, Miss Maple (about 2 months old), a buddy this week. Elmer is an Alpine wether that is about 5 weeks old. I got Elmer on Monday and I think that Miss Maple has gone into heat- she is swollen and has tried to mount poor Elmer a few times, and sometimes he will sniff her (interesting when this started happening when I brought them to visit my kindergarten class- all the kids shouted 'ewwww' every time he sniffed her- I didn't explain...). I just went to Fias Co farm website and saw that goats can become fertile at 2 months, so of course I am worried about her getting preggers. Elmer was banded sometime before I got him, and is only 5 weeks, but still has his testicles. He doesn't seem interested in sex right now, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to end up with a pregnant doeling.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Yes doelings can get pregnant that young - but I don't think you have anything to worry about with your wether. I know it is like a week or so after being banded that they are still furtile or something like that But he is also way to young to be furtile himself and obviously lacking in the drive to do anything department.

Wethers will keep their sack for 4-6 weeks after banding as it slowly dies then falls off.

3. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN
    Also alot of their natural instincts will still be there even though their testicles are not so do not be concerned if he still reacts each time she goes in heat. As long as both testicles are in the band he may act somewhat like a buck but he can't cause any harm.
  4. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    Shew, thanks! Today he is interested, I saw him mounting her a few times, but hopefully no connection was made.

I hate to separate them, so you gave me good news!