The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to start showing goats once I start my farm again, I'd drive the goats there, but I really don't want to be the one in the ring. Will the ADGA let me do this, and do y'all think $50 would be a good amount to pay someone to show my goats?

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would look at the specific show rules on whether you have to show the goats or not. Just saying you should try doing it yourself. It’s a great experience.

Reactions: AlabamaGirl

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would look at the specific show rules on whether you have to show the goats or not. Just saying you should try doing it yourself. It's a great experience.
If I have to I will, I just don't want to mess up and look stupid.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If I have to I will, I just don't want to mess up and look stupid.
My first time I showed when I was younger I wasn't paying attention to the judge and accidentally kept walking when I was supposed to be placed. The only way to find out how you'll do and to learn is to try.

Reactions: AlabamaGirl

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Oh yes. A lot of people bring multiple does of the same age to shows and have to find someone to help them show them. It is totally acceptable.

·
Fair-Haven
4,710 Posts
You can, but getting that experience is wonderful - and everyone worries they will look stupid ,,,, and really =- they are looking at the goat not you. Practice a bunch at home. Go behind (don't be first in the ring) and watch the exhibitors in front of you. Leave space between you and the person in front. We have all (no matter what the experience level) had goats that misbehave and do silly. Just adds to the fun.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You can, but getting that experience is wonderful - and everyone worries they will look stupid ,,,, and really =- they are looking at the goat not you. Practice a bunch at home. Go behind (don't be first in the ring) and watch the exhibitors in front of you. Leave space between you and the person in front. We have all (no matter what the experience level) had goats that misbehave and do silly. Just adds to the fun.
YES!!!!! The first few times my kids showed I had them do this, of course my son also placed first and was pulled out of the line first and he was so confused on what the judge really wanted lol but everyone out there all had their first time in the ring, so don't worry about it. Just watch YouTube and read all you can.
If you absolutely do not want to do it, then I agree look into rules, I'm not sure what someone would charge, I would find someone that is willing to do it (if the rules allow) and ask them what they charge. I don't show but my kids do in it the fair and there is no way I would allow one of my kids to charge to help another kid so I have no idea what the going rate is sorry

·
8,163 Posts
Most ADGA shows allow someone else to show their goats. But, remember, if the person showing happens to win, they cannot leave the ring with the goat, you have to bring the papers to the judges desk, then sign the winning sheet if instructed to.

I hate showing- I'm a behind the scenes person. I usually make my kids show! (if they are around). I had my day in the sun with horse showing and dog shows. I'm happy not being in the ring! But, you should at least try.

Watch videos of showing and practice, a lot. Most people do not watch you, anyway. The audience is watching their goat interests.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank's y'all, I probably will show them myself. It does look like a lot of fun!

·
8,163 Posts
It can be a lot of fun. Especially if you have friends in the show ring- A little friendly competition, etc!

A little unasked for advice! If you are having to clip your goat, wash it on a warm non windy day, dry well then clip. Your clipper blades will last a lot longer clipping clean hair, vs oily dirty hair. Clip more than 2 weeks before the show. She will looks so much better than a freshly scalped goat! Trim the legs and feet before the show, especially the feet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts