can someone explain heat cycles?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by kids-n-peeps, Mar 15, 2010.

1. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    So I get that Nigerians tend to go into heat roughly every 21 days, but what is everyone talking about when they refer to five day or 7-8 day heats. Do you mean the first heat is a false heat and then they come into heat within a week later and that is the real heat? Or are both of those heats real? Sorry if this is confusing . . . I'm confused, lol. :shrug:

2. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I am confused too... especially since I have a doe who conceived both times on those types of heats. So I feel like I would not want to put my doe in with the buck again 5-7 days later, just in case she had already conceived but somehow was ovulating again... because I don't want to go through that again!

Hopefully we can get this mystery straightened out :chin:

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    As I have one crazy doe that seems to do this, I sure would like to know...my doe was with two different bucks on two of those short heat cycles (or so I thought). It's not possible for them to be bred by two bucks is it? (oh that could be confusing for me in the future, if so)

4. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    I think they could potentially be bred by 2 different bucks, but only if they actually ovulated both times.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, there can be kids in the same pregnancy sired by 2 different bucks. Only for sure way to tell is by DNA testing.
    I had a doe breed on her heat with 1 buck of my choice, she came back in 5 days later and decided to "break out" and was bred by a buck I didn't want her bred to....she had triplet does on day 143, the 3rd was TINY and looked very similar to the buck she bred with the 2nd time.

6. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    That is really interesting Liz... do you think you'll get them DNA tested to be sure or not bother?

Here is a link to some info posted by Bellafire, who got it from a vet (about different aged babies being born in the same litter): viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2199&start=30

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nope...this happened 2 years ago, they are pygmy/nigi crosses and not registered, just pets and I only have 1 of the 3 here...it's Heidi, her sisters went to a wonderful pet home. I suspected the 2 different sire thing with the kids because one of the doelings was polled...this doe as well as the 1 buck always gave me horned kids, the other buck has been known to throw polled kids.

8. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Well...if that indeed happened with my goats, then we should be able to tell. One buck was horned and the other was polled...so if any babies come out polled then we will definitely know who daddy is! They aren't the same colors either...so it probably wouldn't be too hard. Plus, my buck that I have here is only 6 months old and doesn't show bucky signs yet...except for the fact that he was very interested in her when she was in heat the second time. We shall see I suppose.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My nigi buck was 7 months old and not being bucky either when he nailed my 4 month old baby through the fence...so don't be too surprised if he did indeed sire these kids. She delivered a single doeling at 9 months of age with no problem and by herself.

10. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    :shocked: WOW that's an amazing story! Your doe sounds like one amazing little goat.

11. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    So has anyone who has suspected two different sires had DNA testing done and found it to be actually so?

I'm just curious if both heats are true heats (in which ovulation is occuring) when that close together.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I put up a topic for this a while back

it has information on ovulation and pregnancy concerning the 5 day heat.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63

13. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Thanks - checked out that link. My does have yet to stand for the buck one day and then again five days later. What I have noticed is a few does really tail-flagging, being more vocal, their vulva being slightly swollen, etc, but then when put with the buck they won't stand for him. Then a few days later (3-5) they will happily stand for the buck. So I'm thinking in my case that's not really a five day heat I'm seeing, but a misreading of the signs of standing heat on my part. For mine, it seems those outward signs are that it's coming, not necessarily here yet.