Can someone explain to me how to do a one day milk test?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by wheel-bear-o, Jan 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. wheel-bear-o

wheel-bear-o Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2020
    Vermont
    I feel like a dunce but the information available online is really not clear and the whole pandemic is just making matters worse. How do I do a one-day milk test for my girls? Do I have the observer come out to our farm? Or do I have to take the does somewhere? If someone could briefly walk me through this process from start to finish I would be really appreciative, I've been trying to read about it on my own but I'm just thoroughly confused and frustrated now.

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and AlabamaGirl like this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I know there are some on here who can help you. Maybe also try calling the office.

MadHouse likes this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I think @Calistar might be able to help, but I'm not sure.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    @Goat Whisperer

MadHouse likes this.
  5. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Sorry, I have only done the year-round milk test, no experience with the one-day!

I do know that you can have it done at your farm. The one-day test is usually done at an event like a show, but you can register to be your own "event" and just do it at your farm with your own herd. I'm not sure the process though, sorry!

MadHouse likes this.
  6. LisaCan89

LisaCan89 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Tennessee
    Okay this is my mentor explaining it to me because this is my first year too. She’s doing my testing.

Yes, you'll need to sign up for a One Day Milk Competition (the form is in ADGA files). If you send it 30 days in advance it costs $25. Less than 30 days it's $50. I charge $100 for running the test (which also covers shipping the samples & lab fees). I'll have to come to your farm 3 times. The night before to verify they are milked out, and the day of twice (am & pm). I'll watch milking, weigh & sample each doe's milk, check tattoos & record height (for ND only). I then ship the samples to Dairy One the next day. Dairy One sends me a copy of the sample analysis & I can tell you that day whether you does earned stars or not. Dairy one then sends the information to adga & it usually takes 2 weeks for it to process. The stars, when earned, are automatically awarded & recorded.

7. fcdairygoats

fcdairygoats Active Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Indiana
    If I wanted to do this how would I find someone to come to my farm for the milk test?

MadHouse likes this.
  8. LisaCan89

LisaCan89 Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Tennessee
    I’m not sure. I’m thinking they probably have a list of testers in your area though.

GoofyGoat, fcdairygoats and MadHouse like this.
  9. fcdairygoats

fcdairygoats Active Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks! I will check into that.

MadHouse likes this.