The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this wonderful doe, San Clemente Island Goat, rare breed, and she is also high % of a rare bloodline. Dark mahogany, great mother, but with last season's twins one udder got congested and she got sick. She required antibiotics, a lot of work and 2 vet visits to get her over an infection and get the udder cleared out. The vet thought it was actually previous scar tissue in the udder, because it did not break down with massage and udder treatments. She had nursed twins the previous year with no issues, though. There was a fairly large, solid mass that could not be massaged away, and in fact that udder still appears larger than the other 8 mos later.
How would you determine whether or not to risk breeding her now? Would a thorough vet exam of her udder be able to determine? Or would it just be a try and see and be prepared to go through all that I did again? ($500 vet bills and 2 weeks of working on the udder).
Goat Plant Goat-antelope Fawn Terrestrial animal

·
Fair-Haven
5,840 Posts
I would test her now and get a professional opinion. You don’t want to risk the doe or her kids, but if she can successfully nurse a half it might be worth it. I would want to know going into kidding if I need to tape off and milk out that half, keep an eye on infection etc. it’s best to know what you need to deal with going forward.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do you mean half her udder had a problem? Can you still get milk out of it? If she can successfully feed twins, I'd keep using her but maybe look into doing mastitis treatment as she is drying up.
Oh Sorry! Yes, half her udder had a problem. It had only tiny bit of milk to get out of it, and it was foul tasting and yellow, before I did the infusions and massaging. She was still nursing the twins, they were 6 weeks old then, on the other side. That was January 2022.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would test her now and get a professional opinion. You don’t want to risk the doe or her kids, but if she can successfully nurse a half it might be worth it. I would want to know going into kidding if I need to tape off and milk out that half, keep an eye on infection etc. it’s best to know what you need to deal with going forward.
When you say test her, what test are you referring to? (The kids and one-sided udder problem were in January 2022.) She is not in milk now. But breeding time would be in a couple of months, if I can breed her.

·
Super Moderator
36,103 Posts
Well, There is a chance she will freshen with a congested udder. Or with mastitis. Then there is a chance she won't have a issue at all. With her genetics being rare, I think I would try but take the precautions mentioned. Dry treat her for mastitis prior to breeding. Then breed and keep close eye on her udder as she freshens. If she freshens with a bad udder..then perhaps look to retiring her.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, There is a chance she will freshen with a congested udder. Or with mastitis. Then there is a chance she won't have a issue at all. With her genetics being rare, I think I would try but take the precautions mentioned. Dry treat her for mastitis prior to breeding. Then breed and keep close eye on her udder as she freshens. If she freshens with a bad udder..then perhaps look to retiring her.
Thank you. What is Dry Treating for Mastitis?

·
Super Moderator
36,103 Posts
Tomorrow mastitis infusing. Will help kill off any lingering infection. Shouldnt be done any later than 30 days before kidding. Some will infuse dry and leave in the udder until about 30 days before kidding, then milk it out clean. I have not used this...maybe someone has personal experience?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tomorrow mastitis infusing. Will help kill off any lingering infection. Shouldnt be done any later than 30 days before kidding. Some will infuse dry and leave in the udder until about 30 days before kidding, then milk it out clean. I have not used this...maybe someone has personal experience?
Interesting. I even have one dose left over from the January incident. I would prefer not to have to milk her out after she kids. (She doesn't like to be handled.) Can I infuse it 60 days prior to kidding and milk it out 30 days prior to kidding?

·
Super Moderator
16,366 Posts
As far as I know the only testing that can be done is with the milk to see if she has mastitis in there.
You can do the Tomorrow now if you would like. I have given it to two does at the time of drying off when they had mastitis that year.

·
Super Moderator
36,103 Posts
There are milk test you can do. If she has anything to milk out and test..that wouldn't hurt. Otherwise I think I would do the Infusing as you said. At least 60 days prior to kidding. Use a drop of Elmer's glue to seal the teat. It won't stay long term but long enough for her to build a plug. Then when you milk it out..do another drop of Elmer's glue to seal the cleaned out udder so she has time to rebuild her plug. Now I was reading an old post and Goathiker suggested doing tomorrow every 30 days until 30 days prior to kidding. So another thought. If you milk test and it comes back clean..the single dose should be ok as a preventive.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just want to comment how gorgeous that doe is. I know it doesn’t add to the question/discussion, but I have never seen such gorgeous coloring on a goat! :)
Thank you, yes she is very gorgeous. A dark red with San Clemente Island black markings. :) This is Isabella.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I keep homeopathic remedies on hand for our family (and animals). Pulsatilla and Belladonna in combination work great to clear up mastitis if you catch it early. I have 7 human children and get mastitis with every child... it’s extremely painful and taxing. So I always have those remedies on hand. I had a doe kid with mastitis this year and I gave her 3 pellets each of the above mentioned remedies and fed her back her own milk. Worked like a charm. However, this situation is slightly different since your doe has scar tissue. Just thought I’d throw it out there. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
My high producing Nubian ended up with gangrene mastitis as a FF. She lost 1 side of her udder, as it literally rotted off. She successfully raised twins this year and the remaining half stayed free of any infection.

• Wow
Reactions: laurelsh
1 - 20 of 24 Posts