Can unhandled kids be friendly?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mathews, Mar 29, 2008.

1. mathews

mathews New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    First off hello everyone. New to this site and to goats but I'm learning all I can. I'm getting two pygmy kids at weaning in about a month. They are on a farm that is mainly a boer goat breeder. I can see that they are handled very little. Is it possable for me to have them become friendly pets by spending lots of time with them. Or will they always be a bit on the wild side. thanks so much....

2. trailhound

trailhound New Member

Mar 22, 2008
    North Carolina
    I am very new to goats, I just got my first kid one week ago today. She was was a wild child when I got her, at 6 weeks, I don't think she had ever been handled, and now she is just rotten. The first day, she was extremely hard to catch, the next day I had her leash trained better than my dog, and now she is underfoot getting stepped on because she can't stand to be more than ten feet away from me, no leash needed. She comes running when I call.

So, in my opinion (which doesn't mean a lot because this is my first goat), they come around quick, with a little time put in. At first, once I caught her, she was fine to be picked up and carried, and I worked from there. It only took her a day to realize she liked to be scratched and I think that is the real ticket.

I hope that helps and good luck! I will say that this little goat has really captured mine (and my husbands, lol) heart.

3. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    Welcome!! I don't think you would have any difficulty getting them used to being handled. They are plenty young enough that if you spend the time with them you shouldn't have any problem.

4. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    One of the great things about goats is that most of them seem to have an innate curiosity about people- most of the time you have more problem with them being too pushy especially when food is involved. There are some who are flighty and are never steady but most will come around fast.

5. mathews

mathews New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Thanks everyone. I feel better now. I will post some pics when I bring them home. :dance:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you put the time into it, yes they can come around. What usually happends is that the new owners are excited about having new goats and wanting them to love on them and be like a puppy and when they arent after a few weeks they get discouraged and then stop working at it all together. THis then leads to a wild goat that trust you enough for food but not for petting and leading etc.

You NEED to be persistent even when you feel you aren't getting anywhere! I talk from experience many times. Sometimes nomatter what you do they don't come around. But 98% of the time they do IF you put the time into it daily and dont' give up.

7. mathews

mathews New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Thanks Stacey. I had a hard time finding kids that weren't spoken for. I would have loved getting them from a breeder that could spend the time handling them every day.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    and thats understandable. At their young age and with devotion you shouldn't have an issue making them friendly.

Tips on doing so:

find something they enjoy eating - food is a GREAT modivator. Grain at their age is probably the only thing they are interested in but you can try raisins, crackers and popcorn is a hit with my goats. Then offer it by hand to them. Only let them have the food if they eat it out of your hand.

Try to keep them in a smaller confined area so that it minimizes the amount of chasing you do to catch them, it also helps them to feel safer as they don't have all this new space to feel "exposed" in.

9. mathews

mathews New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Thanks for all the tips Stacey. I'm so excited to bring them home next month.

10. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    matthews...Welcome to TGS....Stacey covered it all.