Can we do anything - think we might try with her...

Discussion in '4H/FFA Corner' started by HoosierShadow, May 10, 2011.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Can we do anything with a 3 teat doeling - pics added

Your welcome...good luck with her...stay strong...and you are the boss.... :wink: :hi5:

I'd love to see video on what she is doing... :greengrin:

2. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana

I don't like the "feed training method" because after the show my goats end up in the pasture and Nothing ANNOYS me more than a goat that follows me around while I am trying to do something because they think that if they follow long enough they will get food/treat.
    Try leading your goat, with the proper halter, then when she stops have a second person, who is trailing behind her, lift her tail. They Don't Like Their Tails messed with and will start moving again following the pressure on their head. Eventually they get the idea....Now come show day you have ALL your goats on leads making it too hard to do the food/treat thing without causing a stampede. Again simply trail your Obedient goat behind the Not So Obedient one, She stops and the trailing handler is in perfect position to Tail lift her, not hard just in a suggestive manner. But everyone does things differently

3. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Sorry you don't like my technique.... :( but I have been doing it for years.... for the super stubborn goats... after the goat learns how to walk with you.....they are a pro......and after a short while.... they forget about the treats and just be a goat again..... :wink:

4. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana

Sorry, I worded that wrong...I didn't mean I didn't like Your method but rather; I just don't like Any food training method with Any type of animal...And as I said earlier everyone does things differently None being Wrong.

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Well...if I can get video to upload, I will share. I had to use my camera, and forgot to change it to low quality so the files are HUGE.

Madison - the goat we've been having trouble with was really good today...OMG I'm still in shock! She didn't do a lot of fussing, but my son really had to work to get her to hold her head up. Setting up is another thing....heh... she was good standing, just didn't set up very well.
    Her biggest issues right now if she walks well is:
    keeping head up
    setting up nicely

She is the type that likes to hold her head low....the only goat we have that is like that.

As for the other two, they didn't work well at all today, so we didn't push any of them, it was warm out, but also, the other two have hoof scald :( We've been fighting hoof scald for weeks now thanks to all the rain.
    I know they are typically really well behaved, so I'm not overly worried. Tomorrow we'll just plan on setting up, and grooming.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

No problem ()relics ....thank you .... for clearing that up...you are right ...people have their own methods of doing things.... :wink:

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Alright... :clap: :cool: congrats on progress.... :hi5:

It will take time for her to learn setup...... but... she will get it.......don't work her more than 15 minutes at a time and leave it on a good note... :thumbup: you can work with her in the mornings... then the evenings..... hope to hear more great progress soon.... :wink: :hug:

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

The videos didn't upload, so I am trying again! I am determined!

We did something very different today. We would walk them, let them graze, walk them, let them graze, set them up, etc. Since we took so many breaks I think we had them out of the pen for about 45 minutes.

She just used a nylon dog collar, but I was prepared to make a halter for her if needed. I let my 4yo take the leash for a while, and well she seems to work magic on the goats... They do seem to go along with her fairly well! Now she is determined she is showing Madison LOL Next year she will be old enough to start showing goats :)

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Only one of the videos would load, don't know why the other wouldn't...
    The other video was a bit better. Next time I need to make these much lower quality because they are over 150MB each!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] ... hotostream

My son really has to hold her to get her head up, otherwise she likes to carry her head low.

Here's a picture of a semi-set up Madison. We will work with her on setting up this afternoon.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My son's other doeling, Mia - who has the ear injury. I had to tape it again to try and get the middle section to stay together. The injury runs down between those boxes. I'll check it today and try to make it less complicated. The first aid tape didn't want to stick very well yesterday so that's why I did it like that.
    [​IMG]

This is what she thought about working yesterday...
    [​IMG]

And then my daughters doeling Crazy Daisy...haha just kidding! Her name is really Daisy Mae, she's not crazy, but that's her nickname :)
    [​IMG]

I originally had my daughters camera outside...took the next two pics of the girls and the batteries died!
    [​IMG]

They were just standing there watching everyone like statues...too cute. We are using that rope on Mia so we can tie it loosely so it isn't touching or bothering her ear.
    [​IMG]

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I did mentioned taking them for a walk earlier....to walk nibble on tree's or graze ...that is wonderful and it isn't really work..... so doing it that way....you can do it however long you want..... as she is enjoying herself....do that daily... but.. also work with her away for the eateries... so she gets to know that not always that she gets to nibble as she is being walked.... I would walk graze her... for a reward... if she does well in her training at 15 minutes intervals... :hi5:

Nice Doelings by the way..... :love: :hi5: :thumb:

For setting up... I am seeing that the collar is to tight around their necks..it needs to be loosened.... the collar needs to be up at the horns and higher under the throat...... here is a good link ...to show you how... it may help give you the right idea.... :wink: http://www.tctc.com/~amfuture/specialawards.html you can click on their pics to make them bigger... :greengrin:

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much Pam! So greatly appreciated :) We will continue to work her that way - 15 minutes of walking/setting up and then grazing, then we'll just take her on a random walk wihile grazing, then practice setting up. As soon as school is out <3 more weeks>, the kids can work with them in the morning and evening.

They do typically hold the show collar up around the top of the neck, the one doeling my son was just letting her have slack while she was standing since she usually stands really well <I told he can't do that in the ring>. I'll have them pull them up more, and give them more slack. The girls are still getting used to these collars and figured out they can turn their head a certain way to get out of them....stinkers LOL But we haven't worked with them very long with those collars yet.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome.... glad it is working out for you and the goats.... looks like they will do well in the ring for you... keep up the great work.... :thumb:

13. 20kidsonhill

20kidsonhill Senior Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Virginia

We tie them to a tree or post close to us while we are gardenig/working/playing outside, for a couple hours a day. We have also had luck using this training collar to help keep them from pulling away from the kids
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 7&bih=545#

Sometimes a difficult goat at home, ends up being your best friend during the show, The stress of being at the show helps them settle down, As long as you have spent plenty of time before hand working with them. When my son was too young to show in 4H we bred a couple does later so he would have younger doeling to show in open class, we worked and worked with this doeling who ended up being around 4 months old at the show. She pulled and pulled him and would run away from him at the house. We went ahead with the plan any way. Knowing that this was an open show and they wouldn't want to deal with a kid being dragged around the rink, We figured we would just have to step in and show the doeling ourselves. But that little doeling stood like an angel, did everything he asked, you would have thought they were in a showmanship class. Instead of a 3-6 month open doeling class.

My son came out of the rink and announced to everyone that the doeling was just like him, " I don't listen when I am at home, but I listen when I am at school." At least 20 people in hearing range were all brought to tears with laughter.

Keep trying, with the wilder one. I don't think you are going to have too much luck with the incorrect teated one.

14. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX

The teat structure on the red doe is acceptable in the show ring. I have a doe who is has multiple Division and Overall Championships and she has teats just like that.

Karla

15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks Karla! My husband said we should let my daughter show her as a commercial doe just for the fun of it. So I think we might! BUT...we didn't take her to get a health certificate, so now I am going to give one final try on finding a vet that will do it. Technically she is for sale, but we may hold off on selling her until after the summer fairs are over.
    She's a sweetie and I am in no hurry for her to go anywhere! :)

16. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Now I am torn on what to do. Being new at this.... my son really wants 2 goats to show, and my daughter would love 2 goats to show, but she is okay with 1 this year.

My son's young doe he's been working has a torn ear <scrapie tag>, it's slit down the middle, and isn't going to close up....She has an abscess from the cd/t and I don't know that she'll be ready to show by the 18th of June.

We are filling out the 4-H papers tonight to take tomorrow <have to be in by June 1st> for their projects.

I am wondering if he should add this red doeling just in case he can't show the other one.

I'll have to pay $50 for a health certificate, so am I wasting my $$ or should we just do it and see what happens? Surely they won't knock these kids down too much just because of the teat <being 4-H not a big time show>.
    Would you do it?

This is just a start, but my son has been working hard <hard for him anyway, haha...>. I figure we get this summer and experience behind us, and then next year we know what to look for and hopefully we'll have some nice doelings to choose from :)

17. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I would think Mia will be ready by June 18th. Now I don't know if the slit will heal together or apart but I am thinking she will be fine. If you do the red doe does that mean he will have 3 in his name? If you don't mind spending the money I would just have both kids show 2. My feeling is its not about if you win or lose its about whether you had fun or not. I doubt we will win our classes because we have some people that buy real nice show goats but we did pretty well last year and as long as the kids have fun that's all that matters to me. For the first year we showed whatever we had so I say take the red doe as long as $50 isn't too far out of the budget. I think it is nuts you have to pay $50. about 6 years ago we were having the same problem with high vet costs and some kids just couldn't afford it so our fair did away with health papers and we pay a vet to stand at the gate with the livestock committee members and check every animal into the fair grounds. Good luck and I am sure your kids will do great.

18. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Roger. With everyones take on her teat structure we're gonna give her a chance :) The health certificate part stinks <$50!!!!>, but we also might be gaining a vet that knows about goats, so that's a plus! I have yet to find a vet that will take a look at a goat <even Mia's ear :( >. Plus they are literately 5 minutes away :)

My son has 3 doelings and our buck registered in his name. He only wants to show 2, so I am trying to get info so if Mia is ready and doesn't have any more set backs, then he can show her, and my daughter can possibly show Mischief maybe in a commercial doe class? I'm not worried about them winning :) But I want them to have fun, and they've been working hard with these does trying to get them walking and setting up.

Next year I hope it won't be so confusing getting this sorted out :) I just hope judges don't look down on Mia for her ear :( It isn't going to close up. When I took the bandage off and left it off the first time she pulled it apart, and now it doesn't want to close up. Now I am concerned about her getting it caught on things and riping it completely. Not even sure what I can do about that. I thought about talking to this vet and see if there is anything at all she can do and how much it would cost to do it <fearful it will be too much $$>. At this point looks don't concern me with her ear, but having any future issues does concern me. She's happy, and healthy otherwise :)
    She has an abscess between her shoulders where I gave the cd/t <despite all the rubbing I did on it! first abscess I've had with the cd/t..figures>. I'm using ichthammol <spelling?> on it every other day to help bring it to a head. I'll probably have my husband drain it when it gets closer to bursting, so it will heal faster <I hope!>.

So much goat drama...and what stinks about this whole thing...I rushed to get Mia's paperwork in <we were originally going to sell her>, and JUST GOT HER REGISTRATION PAPER TODAY....heh...