Can we go out and play today?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Jan 17, 2009.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The babies are just over a week old and have not been outside since its been below freezing. The temp is 48 today, can they go out for an hour or so and play in the sun. There isn't anything green in the yard for them to eat. Inside temp is 60 so that would only be 10 degree difference. There is a south wind of 18mph but the area is somewhat protected.

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    If you're planning to transition them to the outside soon, this would be a good time to let them go out to play. What I do with mine is to leave them out for a few hours in the warmest part of the day, lengthening that each day. When they are doing fine being out all day, I let them stay out all night in a well bedded kid house. If you just want them to play outside for a while, I'd still provide them with a shelter such as a dog house or a pet crate.

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    They won't be out permanently for a while yet as the other goats are huge. They will still be house goats with excursions outside. I was thinking they needed the sun for Vitamin D production.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You are so right about the sunshine and vit D. Hope they had a lovely day!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yes they will love it. I hope they enjoyed a nice day outside

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    They had a great time outside. They went runnin and rompin all over the place. It was so funny to watch them. I will have to come up with a pen of sorts that I can keep them contained. The front yard is on a busy road so we were running around trying to keep them away from it. The back was shaded to much and I was afraid that the lower temps might make them sick.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like that bit of fresh air and sunshine did them good! They oughta sleep very well tonight.

A aby yard can be made from just about anything....until they get big enough to either go thru it or over it!
    A few posts in the ground for support and maybe some chicken wire will contain them for now and give them the freedom to play out of harms way.