The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ahh:Help!!! these flies are driving me crazy:imok:, My hubby is :eek:mg:losing it. How do you control the flies and mosquitoes? The goats are miserable too.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
You can run fans in the barn but be aware of the fire danger if the motor gets very dusty.

Cattle pour-on products such as Cylence or Ultraboss can help, those are applied once every several weeks. Horse fly spray could also be used daily or every two days per instructions.

Some folks spray the inside of their barn walls with Permethrin, I've never tried that.
I have also seen very good reviews for BugPellant which is a canister that you hang in the barn and is essential oil based. I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Here is what we use:

https://www.farnam.com/all-products/fly-insect-control/bronco-gold
This is good for faces:

https://www.farnam.com/all-products/fly-insect-control/swat

Someone on here recommended this: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/flicks-essential-oil-spray?page=1

And I've seen @mariarose recommend this: https://www.farnam.com/all-products/fly-insect-control/endure

You could also look at this stuff: https://www.farnam.com/all-products/fly-insect-control

We don't apply it every day so the goats do get bothered by them. But I think if you did every day it would work.

Reactions: mariarose

·
274 Posts
We use Spalding Fly Predators in our pastures and anywhere there is poo. You just sprinkle them on the poo and the predators eat the fly larvae. We have had great success with this for years! Best of luck!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I have had good results with wiping down the sides of my wood barn with EO based fly sprays. We don't really get many flies, only mosquitoes and gnats. Mine HATE getting sprayed though. I am about to try a recipe for homemade fly spray wipes (natural).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not sure about garlic - maybe try garlic oil. I hang my garlic to dry in my stable - still have flies - horses not happy.
We use horse fly spray on the goats as needed with some success, fly predators, attractant traps, sticky tape, etc. All help, but nothing is a cure all. Of course, I live where we call the mosquito the state bird, and the season by which type of fly/ gnat is prominent. Green head season, gnat time, biting fly season, etc- but not June, July, August.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I combat them in several ways and I’m have a big insect problem because of our record breaking rain. We installed a ceiling fan with big blades to circulate air. I sprayed their barn (outside and in) with a livestock barn spray. I did that while they were outside so the chemicals didn’t bother them. My goats hate being sprayed too but just like with my horse, I didn't tip toe around the problem and enable the fear. Instead we worked on it!! I have a mister from target (was cheap) for plants that doesn’t squirt but is silent and mists. Frankly it covers more area then a spray bottle. Now Elvis simply stands there and doesn’t give a flip, Oliver does need his leash on still but he will tolerate it instead of taking off as if I’m killing him. I have a natural fly spray and endure. I try to go all natural but there are also times I’m not afraid to use chemicals like the spray I used on their barn. I start with natural, if it doesn’t work I pull out the bigger guns so to speak. When I’m walking them I spray the heck out of a big hat I wear and it does the trick! I tried using fly tape but SOMEHOW and I don’t know how they got it down. Last year I used a fly trap that worked great but they do stink after a bit. I have used ultra boss for lice as well and didn’t have any issues. Good luck to you I know it’s frustrating!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
fly predators,
Sounds very interesting, could we learn more?
INow Elvis simply stands there and doesn't give a flip, Oliver does need his leash on still but he will tolerate it instead of taking off as if I'm killing him.
I have the impression that goats, like many other animals, have an instinctive fear for snakes, including the hisssss.

·
Registered
839 Posts
@Trollmor I agree with you. As with my horse though the more desensitized they are over fearful things the easier it is for them at certain times. My horse will now walk over a tarp, walk in patterns with my reins dropped as I'm using my lunge whip in circles over my head or circles around his body or even large circles in front of his face. All while doing patterns from leg pressure. Not a big deal in the big picture but sure does make it easy when we trail ride and a deer jumps up right beside us out of the brush or a turkey takes off in front of us! Which both have happened to us! He picks his head up and keeps right on going instead of jumping and being fearful, which is a natural flight reaction. The more we work on fear the less fearful it becomes:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
We have chickens, (used to have ducks too, which likely did even more than chickens) and I've been using my homemade teat spray which is soap with a little tea tree oil and lavender oil on my doe at milking. The cats left part of a creature nearby and it was swarming with larva when I found it so I sprayed it a few times and a couple hours later when I looked they were all dead. I also just hung fly paper where we milk. ...lots of little things seem to amount to being useful.

I wish it would just dry out for a couple weeks! After our drought of 2012 I have been very careful to complain about rain though- love that water!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
We have chickens, (used to have ducks too, which likely did even more than chickens) and I've been using my homemade teat spray which is soap with a little tea tree oil and lavender oil on my doe at milking. The cats left part of a creature nearby and it was swarming with larva when I found it so I sprayed it a few times and a couple hours later when I looked they were all dead. I also just hung fly paper where we milk. ...lots of little things seem to amount to being useful.

I wish it would just dry out for a couple weeks! After our drought of 2012 I have been very careful to complain about rain though- love that water!
Hate the water. I would take a mild drought or heat wave over every day being dark and raining. We had a lull this past week but this coming week rain again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts