The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. We are building a MASSIVE barn built new for the goats. We use goat panels for the stalls in their current barn.My family and i
think the solid wood stalls look a lot nicer. I know that goats are social animals and need to be able to see each other. Can we use solid wood stalls though?? Or will they go crazy and try to jump the walls?

This is just an idea and we want to use wood stalls.

Thanks for your replies!

Caden.

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Well, I wouldn't for a buck. Kinda like a rabbit hutch, pee stains. ;)

But for a doe, maybe. I wouldn't though, because they need to see eachother to be introduced, and IMO weaned.

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok that's good advice. Could we possibly make a big stall but put a panel in the middle of the stall so the girls can be with each other but it would still look nice on the outside?

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
One thing I don't like about wood is that if you ever have mites, they hide in crevices in the wood. So it is hard to stop the infestation.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I love my solid wood stalls for kidding. You dont have other goats butting in to see whats going on, or like my one doe try and steal any kid she sees, its just mom and kids in there. The panel idea is a good idea though and thought real hard about it when setting my area up, you could move them very easy, or take out and have a large area for many goats.

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok jessica84 what kind of goats do you have? Mabye it depends on the breed. If our goats are in the stall while everyone else is outside they go crazy( loud).

·
2,203 Posts
You can also have 3 ft tall solid wood and to the ceiling goat panel as divider. Still would be able to see, but no nosey neighbors for privacy.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My family and i think the solid wood stalls look a lot nicer. I know that goats are social animals and need to be able to see each other. Can we use solid wood stalls though?? Or will they go crazy and try to jump the walls?

This is just an idea and we want to use wood stalls.

Thanks for your replies!

Caden.
It depends on the doe. I use 4' particle board that I drilled holes in so I can wire it to steel posts to separate one pen under my shed for kidding. Some does try to jump it, some does do jump it, most of them are absolutely fine with the particle board. If at all possible, I now make my kidding pens at least 5' tall. I should add that my does do not go into kidding pens until kidding is imminent because I simply don't have the luxury of putting them in a kidding pen a week or so prior to kidding.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/things-keep-hand-144884/

There is a link to a post I put up and although there isn't a really good pic of the stalls you can see them in a few. They work really well as they can still see each other, smell ect. I think they look nice, the barn pictured is pretty old, the "new one" looks nicer. I can try and get some better pics of them.

·
Rusty
192 Posts
I don't know what type of wood you are considering using, but..I have my barn out of cedar pickets and cedar works great because insects naturally don't like it, but just to be safe, I go out every year for my spring cleaning of my barn and use a powder puff or a mop head and a bucket of diatomaceous earth and just powder down all the interior walls and I never have a problem with mites- not even in my chicken coop

·
Super Moderator
59,773 Posts
My favorite stuff to use are my portable panels. They look nice and everyone can see each other. Plus you can change them around if need be.

If you go to Light Livestock Supply website, they have panels that are basically like mine.

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok ok everyone! We have just decided to use panels for the new barn. Are girls would need to see each other sooooo, panels seems the best way to go. Thanks for your replies!

·
2,203 Posts
Ok ok everyone! We have just decided to use panels for the new barn. Are girls would need to see each other sooooo, panels seems the best way to go. Thanks for your replies!
Woohoo! Excited to see your stalls!

·
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I'll post pics once we get them up! (If I can remember to)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts