The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a thread earlier asking what type of hay everyone eats. Trying to find Orchard grass in my area but seems difficult to find. Alfalfa hay may be easier. Can I feed them hay and a small amount of alfalfa pellets. Or is that way too much calcium? I use the pellets with some molasses to give them their herbal dewormer and feed coastal hay now.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alfalfa pellets are fine.
They already eat alfalfa pellets. Can their free choice hay also be alfalfa? Or is that just alfalfa overkill and too much calcium? They barely nibble at their coastal hay I leave out free choice.

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Why are you wanting to move away from the coastal hay? Are you having trouble finding hay that isn't moldy, etc?

I wouldn't go to only alfalfa hay and pellets if I had any choice, in part because of running into zinc problems. But mixing the alfalfa and the coastal sounds like a good idea.

Examination of the link between all-alfalfa and zinc deficiency
https://thriftyhomesteader.com/zinc-deficiency-goats/

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
You’d be dealing with both mineral deficiency problems and urinary problems from too much calcium.

Especially since I believe you mentioned you had hard water as well?

I would do alfalfa pellets and grass hay or coastal hay. Either is fine.

If you have hard water, please please please add raw apple cider vinegar to the buckets!! This will help balance out the calcium.

Mixing alfalfa and coastal is still a bit high in calcium with pellets and hard water.

May I ask why you want to give alfalfa pellets? It’s really not necessary and if you take them away you can more safely introduce a mix of alfalfa and coastal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why are you wanting to move away from the coastal hay? Are you having trouble finding hay that isn't moldy, etc?

I wouldn't go to only alfalfa hay and pellets if I had any choice, in part because of running into zinc problems. But mixing the alfalfa and the coastal sounds like a good idea.

Examination of the link between all-alfalfa and zinc deficiency
https://thriftyhomesteader.com/zinc-deficiency-goats/
They just barely eat the coastal hay. I filled their hay feeder a week ago and they haven't touched it except a nibble here or there. It looks good, no mold or dust. I feed them alfalfa pellets in the evening. I wonder if I should mix alfalfa hay with the coastal hay? Or would they just pick the alfalfa hay out of it? lol.

Reactions: mariarose

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
They just barely eat the coastal hay. I filled their hay feeder a week ago and they haven't touched it except a nibble here or there. It looks good, no mold or dust. I feed them alfalfa pellets in the evening. I wonder if I should mix alfalfa hay with the coastal hay? Or would they just pick the alfalfa hay out of it? lol.
Well here's my thoughts cause I deal with picky wethers.

I HAVE to fill the feeder daily because if it sits out for more than a day they totally lose interest.

I noticed that when mine were younger they barely ate a flake, like really, they didn't eat a lot.

Try this:

1. So take all the old hay out of the feeder

2. Add in a very very small amount (DO NOT FILL IT UP!) if they finish that amount, add a bit more.

3. Continue to do this until you've found out how much hay they will eat on a daily basis.

4. Once you know how much they eat, make sure to fill the feeder with that amount (plus just a bit extra) every day.

If you fill in the morning, instead of adding more at evening feeding if they haven't finished it, simply pick the hay out of the feeder and turn it backwards and upside to make it seem new again. Fools them every time.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well here's my thoughts cause I deal with picky wethers.

I HAVE to fill the feeder daily because if it sits out for more than a day they totally lose interest.

I noticed that when mine were younger they barely ate a flake, like really, they didn't eat a lot.

Try this:

1. So take all the old hay out of the feeder

2. Add in a very very small amount (DO NOT FILL IT UP!) if they finish that amount, add a bit more.

3. Continue to do this until you've found out how much hay they will eat on a daily basis.

4. Once you know how much they eat, make sure to fill the feeder with that amount (plus just a bit extra) every day.

If you fill in the morning, instead of adding more at evening feeding if they haven't finished it, simply pick the hay out of the feeder and turn it backwards and upside to make it seem new again. Fools them every time.
Ohhhh, I will definitely try this!! :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'd be dealing with both mineral deficiency problems and urinary problems from too much calcium.

Especially since I believe you mentioned you had hard water as well?

I would do alfalfa pellets and grass hay or coastal hay. Either is fine.

If you have hard water, please please please add raw apple cider vinegar to the buckets!! This will help balance out the calcium.

Mixing alfalfa and coastal is still a bit high in calcium with pellets and hard water.

May I ask why you want to give alfalfa pellets? It's really not necessary and if you take them away you can more safely introduce a mix of alfalfa and coastal.
I do add ACV to their water daily. They prefer their water this way anyways ;)

I prefer to do alfalfa pellets because this is how I mix their organic herbal dewormer in. They eat it on top of their pellets mixed with some molasses. I would honestly prefer to keep them on the pellets where I can control the amount of calcium I give them. And it works for me because they pee like champs!

I will definitely try your hay method though!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I do add ACV to their water daily. They prefer their water this way anyways ;)

I prefer to do alfalfa pellets because this is how I mix their organic herbal dewormer in. They eat it on top of their pellets mixed with some molasses. I would honestly prefer to keep them on the pellets where I can control the amount of calcium I give them. And it works for me because they pee like champs!

I will definitely try your hay method though!
See what happens if you try the hay method with the coastal.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm confused. You'd think if the goats got hungry enough they'd eat whatever you gave them?
Because mine dont get any more hay until its all gone. And if you dont get your share fast you aren't going to get any cause another goat will eat it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
I'm confused. You'd think if the goats got hungry enough they'd eat whatever you gave them?
Because mine dont get any more hay until its all gone. And if you dont get your share fast you aren't going to get any cause another goat will eat it.
Honestly I thought that too but my goats are damn stubborn.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
So true.
The buck I just got wastes his hay so I gotta stop that.
Haha GOOD LUCK!!

Eddie does this every day:

IMG_7399.jpg

Honestly, I don't know how. He somehow lifts it and pulls it up and out of the feeder. I'm working on building a top for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts