The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nigerian dwarf goats (wethers) and I'm just wondering if you can bathe them or let them play in water. If you can bathe them, do they like water? The breeder I got them from said that they would hate it, but people have videos of people washing their goats so I'm not sure. Please help because I need to know if they dislike it or they're not supposed to be bathed.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I've never known a goat to like water (as in swimming), but I have had two that love baths! Sputnik likes it when I spray him right in the face. I bathe my goats for shows, parades, and other public events, or if they are particularly nasty in spring. "Spring cleaning" involves both clipping and bathing for my big packgoat wethers who are often on display in public and need to look their best. I bathe my goats with warm water, which greatly increases the odds that a few of them will like it, and it helps me avoid outright hostility from those who don't care for baths. After shampooing, I always use conditioner to avoid drying out their skin and hair. It's best to bathe on a warm, sunny day with little or no wind. Towel your goats off quickly afterwards (every goat loves this part of the bath!) and if there is a cool breeze, keep them covered with a towel or blanket until they're dry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never known a goat to like water (as in swimming), but I have had two that love baths! Sputnik likes it when I spray him right in the face. I bathe my goats for shows, parades, and other public events, or if they are particularly nasty in spring. "Spring cleaning" involves both clipping and bathing for my big packgoat wethers who are often on display in public and need to look their best. I bathe my goats with warm water, which greatly increases the odds that a few of them will like it, and it helps me avoid outright hostility from those who don't care for baths. After shampooing, I always use conditioner to avoid drying out their skin and hair. It's best to bathe on a warm, sunny day with little or no wind. Towel your goats off quickly afterwards (every goat loves this part of the bath!) and if there is a cool breeze, keep them covered with a towel or blanket until they're dry.
Great advice! Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts