The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, since I work full time I unfortunately do not have the time to full time bottle feed our soon to be kids. I would still like for my family to bond with them via bottle feeding. Wondering if there is an option to do both and how to go about doing this?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Yes, in some case where dams do not produce enough milk or have a very large litter you can absolutely bottle feed supplementally while they remain dam raised. However, if you are doing it just to bond, I would probably say the time is better spent just bonding with the kids without the bottle aspect. If they aren't hungry, they won't really want the bottle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I will let nature take its course! But now raised more questions - how do you know if she is not producing enough milk and if they are not eating enough?

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Dam raised kids can be every bit as friendly as bottle babies if you take the time to sit and play with them. We bring ours into the house a couple at a time every evening so they can sit on the couch and watch a movie with us. We let them climb and jump on us and chew our hair for the first few weeks until they are old enough to learn proper manners. One of the problems with trying to feed bottles to kids that aren't hungry is that when you try to force bottles on them they get stressed out and don't want to be with you any more, which of course is counter-productive. Sit down with those kids and play with them instead and they'll love you for it. And you'll find that if you spend time with them here and there throughout the day, you'll have a pretty good sense of whether they're healthy, eating, and growing well or if there's a problem.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Dam raised kids can be every bit as friendly as bottle babies if you take the time to sit and play with them. We bring ours into the house a couple at a time every evening so they can sit on the couch and watch a movie with us. We let them climb and jump on us and chew our hair for the first few weeks until they are old enough to learn proper manners. One of the problems with trying to feed bottles to kids that aren't hungry is that when you try to force bottles on them they get stressed out and don't want to be with you any more, which of course is counter-productive. Sit down with those kids and play with them instead and they'll love you for it. And you'll find that if you spend time with them here and there throughout the day, you'll have a pretty good sense of whether they're healthy, eating, and growing well or if there's a problem.
In a few days ours will be moved closer to the backyard of the house. I will attempt to bring them inside to snuggle... one day:dreams:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! That is what we have been doing! Thanks everyone for your comments, we have been busy with our new kids
495c9fe5-7c80-4d45-a6bf-1e8533b67481.jpg
5cd51fc5-27af-47bc-a5df-161818604386.jpg

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Aren't they precious! I love the coloring on the first one's face and ears! Do they run up to you when you go out to see them? Do they jump their feet on your knees, begging to be picked up? And when you sit down do they go straight for your lap or your back? This is how I want my babies to act around me during the first month. Once they're a little older I start training them not to jump on me or chew my clothes/hair/shoelaces. But for the first month or so I let them satisfy their curiosity and just make friends.

I try to follow the example of their goat mamas. When the babies are little the mom lets them climb on her back when she lays down, and nibble her ears and beard. As they get older and bigger she starts reprimanding them for these behaviors. You have mini goats so you can probably let them stay in the "baby" stage longer than I let mine. Mine are nearly a month old and I'm going to have to start laying down the law soon as they're all approaching the 30-lb. mark and growing sharp spikes on their heads!

But the fun part is that when they reach this more mature stage, I can start taking them out for walks without their mamas. My husband and I like to hike, so we'll load a couple of kids in the truck and take them with us on the trail. They're also old enough to start appreciating treats and learning tricks like "shake hands," "dance," and "spin."

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Aren't they precious! I love the coloring on the first one's face and ears! Do they run up to you when you go out to see them? Do they jump their feet on your knees, begging to be picked up? And when you sit down do they go straight for your lap or your back? This is how I want my babies to act around me during the first month. Once they're a little older I start training them not to jump on me or chew my clothes/hair/shoelaces. But for the first month or so I let them satisfy their curiosity and just make friends.

I try to follow the example of their goat mamas. When the babies are little the mom lets them climb on her back when she lays down, and nibble her ears and beard. As they get older and bigger she starts reprimanding them for these behaviors. You have mini goats so you can probably let them stay in the "baby" stage longer than I let mine. Mine are nearly a month old and I'm going to have to start laying down the law soon as they're all approaching the 30-lb. mark and growing sharp spikes on their heads!

But the fun part is that when they reach this more mature stage, I can start taking them out for walks without their mamas. My husband and I like to hike, so we'll load a couple of kids in the truck and take them with us on the trail. They're also old enough to start appreciating treats and learning tricks like "shake hands," "dance," and "spin."
I didn't know goats could learn tricks!! I'll have to teach mine!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Not yet, they were born Monday and are still kinda skittish. I try to spend as much time with them as possible so hoping they will warm up to me soon! My dad won't let me bring them in the house but Im going to whenever I have the opportunity lol!!

Thanks for the tips. I love hiking so that is great to know!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts