The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have just started my life with goats yesterday! Love them already, they are too sweet! I have three boys, I got them at the Mt. Hope auction (Ohio). They are all different sizes, all are weaned and eating hay and grain. Our little guy, named El, is pretty small. He is only 19 lbs. Our middle-sized guy, Em, is 27.4 lbs, and our big guy, Bea, is 40 lbs. I have tried to use the formula that Boers average 6-12 lbs when born and gain about 0.4 lbs per day (does that sound right?) to help me estimate their approx. ages. Following this logic, using a birth weight of 8 lbs., El would be around 3.9 (almost 1 month) weeks old today. Em would be 6.9 weeks (1.7 months), and Bea would be 11.4 weeks (2.8 months). Does anyone have a better way of getting an approx. age of a goat kid based on weight?

Thank you!

·
Registered
896 Posts
If he's under 4 weeks old, he's probably still on a bottle. I would recommend whole cow's milk from the store. It's better for them than formula. You mentioned in your original post he was weaned and eating hay? If you don't know his history, you might be in for an adventure. Might be he's a 3 month old runt, might be he's a bottle baby someone got tired of, might be his mom just died and the owner didn't want to bottle feed him. At 4 weeks old, they will be nibbling at hay and feed, but they still need milk. You might offer him a bottle and see if he readily accepts it...if so, you know you have a bottle baby. FYI...usually around 3 months is weaning age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts