Can you identify this goat??

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KaysKidz, May 2, 2010.

1. KaysKidz

KaysKidz New Member

May 2, 2010
    Hi!

I am new here!! And new to goats! LOL Yesterday, we came home and found this little guy at our house! We are trying to find his owners, but in the mean time, I'm enjoying having him around. If we can't find his owners, we will be keeping him. And we would get a 2nd goat so he would have a friend. But I'd like to get an idea of what kind of goat he is, and possibly how old.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I put our new kitty LC in with him. LC is lonely and wants a friend too, so I figured maybe they'd like each other. We shall see. LOL
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome to TGS

your found goat looks to be either a nigerian or a nigerian mix.

3. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    He looks small how tall is he? Like below your knee or level with it. I'd say he's a nigerian or nigerian/pygmy mix. I wonder if he was a bottle baby, they tend to think they're house pets if they are brought into the house when they are little. He's cute though.

4. KaysKidz

KaysKidz New Member

May 2, 2010
    He's definitely below my knee. I'd guess he's around 15lbs? I can measure him if needed, we brought him up to the house this morning and he's grazing in my backyard.

5. Goat Crazy

Goat Crazy New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Yup he's a mini. Sounds like he's only about 4 months old maybe younger.

6. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Looks like my latest LaMancha doe-except with ears ;-).

7. jberter

jberter New Member

He sure is a cutie,, Question, is he still a buck or has he been banded?? Seems if someone went through the trouble to band him they would be looking for him or even as their next herd sire... Are there any auction houses close by?,, maybe he excaped from that and found his way to your place.. Hope you find out soon,, but I can't imagine someone not wanting such a cutie back, or at lest putting a notice in the local papers in lost & found... :shrug: ...

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, nigerian or a nigi/pygmy cross....and with his horn growth, obviously not disbudded or a too late disbud he's around 10-12 weeks old.

Does he still have his testicles? If not, then he could be older as the horn growth on a buckling is faster and heavier than on a wether at a young age.

Also...if he's just 15 lbs, he needs some groceries and a worming, my nigi/pygmy wether is 9 weeks old and over 20#, I would keep an eye on the papers, someone either bought him and he spooked and ran or he wandered away...if you do end up keeping him and he is intact, please have him wethered as I would not reccommend any one who is new to goats to keep a buck as a pet.