The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting 2 horses but only have 3 acres.. is that enough?? I heard 2 acres per horse but..

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,924 Posts
I prefer 3 acres per horse. It really depends on the pasture quality, and how you feed. Are they pleasure horses,or athletes? Are they young or older?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They probably would be more for pleasure.. I could get 3 in 1 package for $15,000.. The mare which is about 16 years old and her colt.. And then they would breed the mare and then I would get that too.. Ok so can a horse be alone or does it have to have a companion? Cause I was saying I could just get the horse with her bred and then later on when she foaled then she would have a companion then..

·
Premium Member
5,924 Posts
They dont need a companion. I have a mare, she thinks shes a big goat,or maybe an LGD..LOL. but she has been alone for 10 years or longer. She plays with the race horses next door when they come home for a break.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So that would be perfect then.. the reason I was considering getting two cause i thought they needed a companion but if they don’t then y that’s perfect! Cause we have 3 acres.. and then I would get one horse..

·
Premium Member
5,924 Posts
Yes as long as you can afford to purchase hay for her in the winter. I give Gypsy prarie hay, feed her sweet feed& oat mix. And in winter a handful of alfalfa pellets. I like her to have a little extra weight for warmth in the winter.
Horse Sky Plant Tree Natural landscape

·
Registered
374 Posts
Be sure you know what your zoning allows, too! Around here, you can't have a horse on that small of acreage legally. The last thing you'd want is to fall in love with your new horse and invest so much, then have a neighbor report you have to sell her.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya.. well we only have one neighbor thats just right across the road from us... the rest are a few miles down the road.. and I’m pretty sure they allow it here! I have seen many horses here with small acreage..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya... I would rather be safe then sorry too.. but I looked it up and if it is right I am pretty sure it is legal.. and I get your point.. I just have seen horses here in Kansas on small acreage...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not sure if I am even gonna be getting a horse yet tho.. if I would get one and pay for it myself I would have to first earn some more money.. and since I am still in school and don’t have a job yet then I am not earning money everyday.. i won’t start earning money until next year again when my goats start kidding..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts