The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, and I have no idea where this goes, sorry if this is the wrong place.

I have two goats, the doeling is 5 months and the buckling is 2 months. I am going to be getting two piglets in a couple of days, they are 8 weeks old. We want to put the pigs with the goats just until the pigs get to know us, then we are going to put them in their own pasture. I was wondering if there would be a problem with a piglets being kept with the goats?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Sure you can!

...At least I think... Since they are piglets, I wouldn't worry much about the goats' well-being. And I know that the goats can't hurt a couple of pigs ;) They may not be best buddies, but they will be fine together.

Oh, and welcome to our happy goat-loving site! :wave:

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Personally I wouldn't. Everyone is so young and you are just asking for problems. If you could put the pigs in a small pen while they get used to you, that would be better.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
I've read conflicting opinions on this. Some people have kept them together successfully, others say don't because pigs are carnivorous and they may kill your goats, especially the kids.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I doubt little piglets are going to kill the goats, however, I would be afraid to mix germs. I am a germaphobe now. I think I would want them separate. Just my two cents.

·
962 Posts
They are fine together! We have a pair of piglets in with a couple of our does. Your pen might become a bit messy & the goats might be a bit freaked out by them at first but eventually they'll settle in. With them both being young I wouldn't worry. If you had big adult pigs and baby goats then I wouldn't put them together.

·
Look for me in the barn...
1,074 Posts
Doh! :eek: That's what I get for just skimming the post.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've thought about this, but we thought the pigs might root up the goats pasture. And pigs and goats need separate grain so it would be hard to separate them at feeding time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts