Can you really tell the sex of kids by smelling a does head?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by myfainters, Oct 31, 2009.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    So I heard that you can tell if a doe is carrying bucklings and how many by smelling her poll? Have any of you tried this before? I only tried it once... 3 weeks before my doe kidded with quads. She did have a bucky smell to her poll... and she had 2 bucklings... I haven't tried it on any other girls yet because none of them are far enough along.

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow....no....never have....hmmm..... :scratch:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Never tried that, but no...I don't think that works.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I have never heard of that before. I wouldn't expect it to be very accurate...but you never know, I guess. I might test it out on my does before they kid if I remember.

5. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    That's the first i've ever heard of that idea, but I figure about the only way we can find out is the day they are born. I would love to see an actual ultrasound though-just to see how many the doe is having.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my doe Sweet pea gets a bucky smell to her from mid pregnancy on. SHe has only kidded twice: first time with 2 of each second time with 3 bucks and 1 doe.

7. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I can't imagine that being at all possible. There's tons of theories out there about how to tell and how to produce the wanted results however its really impossible to control nature in that respect. Each year varies, from doe years to buck years to even 50/50 years. So the results people get trying a theory out is really chance. Its still fun to try and if it seems to work, what does it hurt to do it? Smelling a doe's head is not one I intend to try though. :)

8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I did that once with one of my does, and she smelled like a buck and had one buckling....
    tried it again and no smell but a lot of bucklings, so I think it doesn't work.

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I HAVE NEVER MENTIONED THAT TO ANYONE BECAUSE i NEW EVERYONE WOULD THINK I HAD TOTALLY LOST IT. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS AND MY GIRLS ARE ABOUT 90% CORRECT IN THE SMELL.

LAST YEAR I HAD A FEW DOES I SMELLED AND THEY HAD NO BUCK SMELL AT ALL. THEY HAD TWIN DOES, THOSE THAT HAVE A LITTLE BUCK SMELL GAVE ME BOTH, AND I HAD A DOUPLE THAT WOW YOU WOULD OF THOUGHT THEY WERE BUCK, (IF YOU SMELLED BETWEEN THE HORNS), AND YOU GUESSED IT, I GOT BUCK(S).

NOW MAYBE IT IS JUST A FLUKE BUT IT DOES WORK FOR ME. ON E YEAR MY BARN SMELLED LIKE A BUCK IN RUT AND I HAD A LOT OF BOYS THAT YEAR. :shrug:

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Hey Lori, what point in the pregnancy are you usually able to tell? I love trying new things...

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

there was a thread on this on one of the other forums a couple of years ago. We all went around smelling our does' polls and then writing down whi smelled like what. Then we went back and said what we had. My does that smelled like warm goats had bucka dna my does who smelled faintly like bucks had does and mixed litters.
    beth

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know I do not totally remember but it was like at least a month form the due date. I believe i started smelling them about two months before. I am sure the neighbors thought I was totally crazy.

I will have to do it again this year and see what the outcome is this year.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I woudl agree it was about 2 months before kidding and stronger at 1 month till the day she kidded

14. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    well... to be honest i have never heard of this and it sounds like a old goat's tale... but my doe's are due for next month... mabye i'll try this... when do you "test" them?

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when -- Ijust happen to be near her and she stunk like a buck (And I have no bucks on my property - well at that time anyway).

16. goatnoob

goatnoob Guest

Nov 1, 2009
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... i'll be paying atention when i go out then...

17. At first for some reason I thought you said smell there poop and I was like, yea some collage kid is laughing at you right now. HEHE

Then I understood, lol, I will try it and see what happens. However my buck is so Bucky right now there is no telling what I am smelling. LOL

18. Graffogefarms

Graffogefarms Active Member

Oct 11, 2007
    ireland
    I think you can smell it on some but not all does. I remember Mama - no bucks in the shed, and peugh! Tia as well had a bucky smell and produced Starbucks. There were about one or two others.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    obviously there is no exact science with this "method" but I do think that if you do smell on their poll a more bucky odor that it means her body has a lot more testosterone in it which would lead me to believe she is carrying more bucks then does.

Not all does will be as apparent with this so it doesnt mean if you cant smell an od0r that she is carrying does.

I just wouldnt take many offers on doe kids from a doe smelling bucky ;)

20. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    I tried this tonight with my one who is close and smelt only a dirt smell or that of straw. I didn't smell a bucky smell at all, so maybe i am having little doelings?? :wink: :girl: :baby: would be nice.