can you register offspring of daughter and father?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MrKamir, Mar 28, 2010.

1. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    Father and daughter are both registered with ags and adga. We were a little late locking up daddy, daughter got bred at 3 mos. old. :? :? Didn't know this could happen so young and didn't know she was bred til she had a doe recently. Baby is doing fine. She's about 20 days old now. Also, daughter and father have blue eyes, but new daughter has green eyes. No other buck around with green eyes at time of conception. I say she can't be registered but hubby says she can. I feel so wrong about this. Can't believe she had a baby at 8 mos. :tears:

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Unfortunately hubby is correct. As long as both parents are registered the offspring are registrable. The name for your breeding is called line breeding if it works and inbreeding if it doesn't. When it works you have pretty much perfect kids with out physical deformities. This makes the good qualities of both parents more pronounced but can also make the bad ones show up in the same way.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Accidents happen, I had a baby deliver at 9 months old. Yes, the offspring can be registered....if you look at the pedigree's of goats, there are a lot that have a "common" goat in their lines.

Congrats on the new baby! Mama is well I hope.

4. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    Mother is doing well.She's also a good mommy. Baby is a little darling, very lively and cute. Thank you so much for easing my mind. Daddy is the daddy of all our babies so he is getting traded soon for new blood. No more accidents I hope. Still I wonder why baby has green eyes. Everyone we know says blue eyes and blue eyes makes blue eyes. Maybe grandparents had green eyes? Or maybe this type of breeding did this?

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i don't think green eyes are recognized

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I actually have a buck here who is the result of a father to daughter breeding, and he earned his MCH title and appraised at 'E'
    Go figure! I guess it can work out really well sometimes!

So yes, definitely register-able, and surely not the end of the world! :) Congrats on the new addition!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    got a picture of the eyes? green is kind of different -- never heard of a green eyed goat before

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    If they are a hazel... the eyes will likely turn brown. They change so much from birth to 6 months of age. :)
    You will sometimes get brown eyed goats from 2 blue eyed parents. The only way to ALWAYS get blue eyes is if one of the parents is homozygous blue. Meaning they carry both blue genes.

Congrats on the new baby! Any pictures??? :)

9. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but I guess that means that goat eye color works differently from people eye color? I know in people, blue plus blue nearly always equals blue with sometimes green but NEVER brown.....? And which goat breeds tend to have blue eyes? Or do all of them?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Nigerian Dwarfs are the most reccognized as having blue eyes... myotonics as well.

11. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    ah so no hope of my alpine girls having baby blues then... oh well ;)
    Being blue eyed myself, I'm prejudiced ;)

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    LOL.... My eyes are blue but my parents have brown and green eyes.... my sister is brown eyed, BIL blue eyed and my nephew is blue eyed, niece is brown eyed.
    My bucks sire was blue eyed, his dam brown eyed...my buck is brown eyed so unless he is bred with a blue eyed doe, I won't know if he "carries" a blue eyed gene.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the standards say brown eyes for standards, blues are only recognized on nigies, i know boers are DQ'd

14. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    Sorry I took awhile to respond. My husband checked her eyes and they are brown. They did look hazel at first. I know you say Nigerians can only have blue eyes but somehow the 2 made a brown eye baby. I would send a picture but it says it's too big. Maybe I can get my hubby to help me out. :whatgoat:

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    nigerians can have brown eyed kids its just that Nigerians are the only recognized breed to be able to have blue eyes. (well them and the mini breeds which are mixed with nigerian dwarf).

16. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    Thank you so much for clarifying that for me Stacy. We also have a mama about to pop in a couple of days. Good luck.