Can you supplement a dam raiser baby

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Kimberley Smith, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Kimberley Smith

Kimberley Smith New Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Anderson ca
    Hi there! We have Nigerian dwarfs and 3 does on the farm recently had 7 kids! One set of triplets and 2 twins. I started giving the weakest triplet a bottle once -twice/day to help her grow as she kept getting pushed out but then one of the triplets sadly passed away. The one triplet I supplemented is the sweetest little girl now and has me wondering if it’s possible to pull the babies from the moms at night and give them a bottle at night and in the morning to help make them friendlier with people. Is that a thing or absolutely not? I bottle fed a few babies Last year and just love them but never with a healthy capable mom around. If it is doable what would I supplement with? I know this is a controversial topic but all advice is highly appreciated. The babies are all 2 weeks old now.
    Thank you so much in advance!

2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Yes! Actually, with most triplets or quads, you could offer bottles twice a day without removing them at all (because why cause that stress which will further stunt their growth?) Usually the competition for nursing time is high enough that several of them will look forward to your twice daily bottles! No need to select which one, try them all, and whichever one or two accept it readily, that's great. It's a whole lot easier than making them full time bottle babies and like you pointed out, no need when there is a good doe taking care of them.

SandyNubians and ksalvagno like this.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Agree. Don't need to take away from mom. They are usually hungry and will take a bottle. I prefer at least twice a day.

4. Kimberley Smith

Kimberley Smith New Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Anderson ca
    Thank you so much for your input! I’ve brought out some bottles an theyre each only taking about 1/2 oz. and then run to their mom right after. Will that just increase over time or should I be doing something different?

5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I'm doing what I call co - parenting right now. Have a sick doe with triplets - she cannot keep up with demand, however I don't want to stress her or the kids, with the kids being young (2 weeks) I'm offering a bottle 4x per day and letting them decide how much they need. Working very well.... and btw - you don't need to bottle feed kids to make them friendly - just spend time with them.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, I supplement any kids who need it and leave them with mom.

7. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    If I have triplets or more, I start the bottles on Day 2. Then can continue if needed or sell as bottle kid if needed. But it's easiest to start early just in case.

How old are the kids? 1/2 ounce isn't much help to them, but if they are suckling the bottle, that's a good start at least.

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Most babies like the bottle as it's easier to get more milk faster! They still nurse from mom, but love those bottles!

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California